Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Acceleration Issue, NONE - Hard Starting too! Forums > > Acceleration Issue, NONE - Hard Starting too! Acceleration Issue, NONE - Hard Starting too!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 PM
2005 Altima

Default Acceleration Issue, NONE - Hard Starting too!

Hi Forum! Fellow Nissan Enthusiasts, I think I found a new home.OK, here's my problem. Before I list it let me state that I have read similar posts in the Knowledgebase section, (I did check there first), and some posts were close to my problem, but not exact so I want to post this.

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4 door sedan. It has 51,000 miles on it and mostly local driving. I started it last night, about 34 degrees outside but dry, and went to the local Walgreens, about 3 miles away. Came out about 1/2 hr. later, turned the key, let go. Turned the key again, ready to fire, let go of key, but no luck. Being it starts all the time this gave me a "humm" thought. Turned the key a third time for about 10 secs., and she kicked over, almost like it had been flooded, but I never pump the gas with this car. Thought nothing of it backed out and car seemed slow to move. I though my foot wasn't on the pedal all the way, that kind of feeling. No power? So, I got on the road and stepped on it, no power, but it would go at its own slow speed?! REALLY Weird! Stopped at a light, and took off from the light, and no power! I floored it, went at its own speed, again no power to it. HOWEVER, the car idled perfect, never hesitated, sputtered or otherwise was was the really weird thing about it. I got home pulled it in the driveway and don't want to drive it until I can find out what the heck is going on?! Can anybody help here? I see a number of suggestions of camshaft sensors, but, I think my problem was a little more different than what I have read - any help is appreciated! Of course, I started a new job after 1 1/2 years so I don't want to mess around - I need to try something and get it fixed? as I said, it idles perfect, revs up without hesitation, but just doesn't go. I had a blockage once from a bad catalytic convertor, and that car had zero power too, it kind of felt like that, minus the white smoke and rotten eggs smell, lol. Hope that helps?

PS. I am gong out now to try it and will report. I have a OBD II Reader, I'll see if that says anythin as well, and will report back.

Thanks everyone,
Mark
Old 12-22-2014, 10:28 AM
G47

you might have to check fuel pressure

Last edited by G47; 12-22-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:21 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. I agree with G47 to do fuel pressure test tho in most cases engine will stall due to improper fuel pressure.
2. I would also inspect the throttle plate and see it operates freely.
3. Be sure there's no obstruction in gas pedal. Have your Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor inspected. It seems to me per your description that car in is limp mode or fail-safe mode.

Interesting observation is that at 51k miles the CAT already failed. You mentioned local driving means its harsh for the engine. Be sure to change motor oil regularly.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Is the check engine light on? that can tell you a bit.
Fuel pressure should be checked also.
Check your plugs to the accelerator and to the throttle body and make sure they are plugged in securely. Maybe somehow the plug got knocked off the pedal.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Is the check engine light on? that can tell you a bit.
Fuel pressure should be checked also.
Check your plugs to the accelerator and to the throttle body and make sure they are plugged in securely. Maybe somehow the plug got knocked off the pedal.

Tags
acceleration, acceleration issue, hard, issue, no power, starting