Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Effects of regular AT fluid in CVT for one day Forums > > Effects of regular AT fluid in CVT for one day Effects of regular AT fluid in CVT for one day
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM
2008 Altima

Question Effects of regular AT fluid in CVT for one day

I have a 2008 Altima 2.5 S with a CVT transmission. With 143K miles on it, I had never had the CVT fluid changed (bad, I know) or done any work or maintenance on the transmission. I took it in to my mechanic to get the CVT fluid changed, and then decided to to check it for myself when I got home: the fluid was a crystal-clear pale red, which meant that regular automatic transmission fluid had been used. So, I took it back in the next morning, and had the fluid replaced with the proper Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid. Of course, I checked it myself when I got home, and the color was a pretty much colorless clear gray, which I think is the correct color for it. In total, I drove about 65 miles with the regular AT fluid in the CVT, most of which was highway driving and 10-15 miles stop-and-go.

So, 143k miles -> trans flush with AT fluid -> +65 miles -> trans flush with NS-2 CVT fluid. How much damage did that do to my transmission? Is there anything I should be worried about?

Thanks for any advice or info!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima
2005 Armada
2005 Armada Le

Correct color should be green (at least on the fluid I've seen). The best thing to do would be have the fluid changed out again in the whole system (not just a drain and fill) if I the fluid is gray color. Personally, I wouldn't be driving it much.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 AM
G47

ask the mechanic if he used aftermarket CVT fluid or what fluid, my co-worker said the aftermarket CVT fluid is not green

Last edited by G47; 04-22-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 PM
2008 Altima

Thanks for the advice, guys. It's possible that I was wrong about the color being purely a colorless gray, rather than green, due to the tiny amount of fluid that I was looking at. I just put a few drops from the dipstick onto a sheet of white paper and it looked like a colorless gray. But I found a few pictures online of similar amounts of NS-2 fluid, and it looked really pale with only the slightest hint of green--not like the deeper green of a larger quantity of the fluid--so I'm hoping that maybe I just wasn't careful enough when I looked at it the first time around. I'll try it again tomorrow when the sun is out. And I guess I'll swing by the Nissan dealership first to buy a quart of NS-2 fluid to compare with the color of the fluid in my car. If it's still questionable, I'll have the dealer check it out and change the fluid if necessary.

Also, G47: I did ask the mechanic about the specific fluid used and stressed that it had to be Nissan NS-2, and he told me that, yeah, he had 18 quarts of it on-hand in his shop and assured me that that's what was used. I really hope that turns out to be the case.

Thanks again for the help!

Tags
auto, cvt, day, effects, fluid, flush, regular, transmission