Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 3.5SE Cranks but won't start Forums > > 2005 3.5SE Cranks but won't start 2005 3.5SE Cranks but won't start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

Unhappy 2005 3.5SE Cranks but won't start

I have a 2005 Altima that cranks but won't start. After installing a new timing chain tensioner and drove about 200 miles out of town, the car stopped within 1 hour of getting there. I have checked and changed the IPDM and crankshaft position sensor. All fuses are good. No power is getting to the ECM. There's no SES showing. Called Nissan the VIN not included in any recalls. Any suggestions and help is appreciated.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Have you checked your fuses? you mention of no power to the ecm. How are you confirming this?
When you crank does it attempt to fire?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

yes all fuses are good. My understanding is no SES light on, my OBD scanner cannot locate ECM, used a test light to ECM harness connector 1 switch off or on (power on) that connector only. Cranks only no attempt to fire. No power to fuel pump under back seat.
Don't know what else to check.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Hmm interesting. I hope you carefully used a computer safe testlight as these computers are very sensitive to being probed.
Are your grounds secured properly.Maybe if you could get a diagram for the ecm plugs it might help you. Just a hunch but does the cigar/ aux outlet work? I see on alot of vehicles the supply wire to the ALDL is shared by the ctsy or outlet fuse. Therefore your scantool may not see the connection and communicate. I wonder if there are any BCM related codes(special scantool would be required)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

Well, I'm using a Snap-On test light. This test was done with the ECM unplug. Where can I get a wiring diagram for the ECM? I was told by Nissan tech that the plug to the ECM should have 3 wires with power, but he didn't tell me which ones. And also ground could be a problem. I bought car used, been finding signs this problem must have happen before found a lot of broke connections and wires with test light holes hum.
Could the alternator have something do with it?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

ouch. Probe spots in wires tell me inexperience was involved in it before which means you may have a problem that can be very difficult to find.
Not sure if alternator could be culprit, I kind of doubt it but you never know
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmars131 View Post
Where can I get a wiring diagram for the ECM?
Could the alternator have something do with it?
You can find the wire diagram in the "Engine Control" section of the service manual (Page 783). Also make sure you check the ECM relay. You can download the section free from here: 2005 Nissan Altima Service Manual - Loose Sections - Free with Registration - Nissanhelp.com

I don't think the alternator would cause the no power to the ECM.