Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Altima 2.5s Forums > > 2005 Altima 2.5s 2005 Altima 2.5s
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

you mean the crank sensor. Can you give me the location? I work on Fords so not being able to see and only getting a finger on things is usual lol
Old 09-29-2013, 07:09 PM
2003 Altima
2006 Altima

It is below the intake manifold on the drivers side. It is about half way down the block. Remove the plastic housing for the throttle body intake, and look for the wiring harness going to the block. Follow the wires and you will feel where it clips on to the crank sensor. And Yes I did it mostly by feel.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Altima

Hey check fuel pressure. Nissan seems to make bad fuel pressure regulators, which is part of the fuel pump. if your car has a long crank (hard to start) check fuel pressure. With the car running it should be about 50psi, when you turn the key off it should hold at 50 psi. If the pressure starts to drop it's the fuel pump. I have a 04 Altima which I replaced the pump 4 yrs ago and it's starting to go bad again. 06 Sentra with the same problem. friends of mine with Nissans have the same problem. I would try an aftermarket pump. I replaced my pump with a Nissan factory part and it fixed the problem , but it only lasted 4 yrs.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:41 AM
2003 Altima
2006 Altima

Thanks for the advice. Do you know where to break into the line to attach the pressure guage? I was going to try and check, but couldn't find a place to insert guage into the line. The rubber line that attaches to the metal fuel line going to the injectors looks like it is glued? on, it does not have a clamp or any other way of attachment.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Altima

Yes follow that line to the left side of the fire wall, on the r/s of the master cylinder. It's there where you attach the gauge.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Ok so tonight I found the crank sensor. Right between the rear mount and the transmission. I did most from underneath and it was not too bad, but here is the bad news. I think I broke the plug. I assume the green part of the plug pushes toward the sensor to release the plug but I cannot get the plug to snap onto the sensor now. the used one or the replacement. I am so irritated because it looks like a nightmare to splice in a replacement pigtail. I tried for a half hour to get it to lock and it just pulls right off. I even tried moving the green tab in and out, nothing helped. Is there something I am missing? The cam sensor has a different plug even though it is the same sensor
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 AM
2003 Altima
2006 Altima

Mine might be broken also as mine would not snap in. I went through the same issues. When I removed mine it seemed like mine was not snapped in as I just pulled it out of the plug. I just pushed it in and left it (I looked at splicing it also and determined the same thing as you) I didn't know what else to do either. Sorry I can't be of any help to you on this. Hopefully someone else can, as I would like to know of a solution also.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

well now I dont feel so bad. I am very bummed though because out of all of the whacky snesors I have done this is in a bad spot to mess up the plug
Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 AM
2003 Altima
2006 Altima

I looked at mine further (I have the head torn off doing a head gasket) and I am not sure if the green tab on the connector is just for removal of the connector. When I push the green tab forward and push it on the connector it will make a snap noise when pushed all the way on, but the connector will still come off if I pull on it. If I push the connector on till it snaps and then hold on to the connector and try and push the green tab toward the engine block to attempt to try and get the connector to lock into place all it does is push the connector back off (even with me trying to hold the connector in place), so I don't know if the connector locks into place like the cam shaft connector does or if it is just a push on connector and the green tab is just for the removal because of the location of where the sensor is and how hard it is to access.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Ok to update this. TOday I went to my local yard and purchased a used pigtail. I got it home and figured it out. Here is how it works.
To remove the plug you must push the green tab in toward the sensor til it pops the plug out. Then to plug it back in just push the plug onto the sensor til it clicks and it will reset the green tab back to the lock position.
Now my honest opinion is it is a horrible setup. I had to keep spraying and cleaning out the plug because even the smallest amount of foreign debris makes it very difficult to release the plug. Once I kept working it, it now works like it is supposed to. I wonder why they just didnt use the same connector as the cam sensor.
And to sum it up I am going to have to splice it in, bummer but at least I know for future
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
2003 Altima
2006 Altima

Thanks for the update. Looks like I am going to have to do the same. It looks like it is going to be a pain splicing it because they do not give you much wire coming out of the harness to work with. By the way how much was the used pigtail?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin b View Post
Thanks for the update. Looks like I am going to have to do the same. It looks like it is going to be a pain splicing it because they do not give you much wire coming out of the harness to work with. By the way how much was the used pigtail?
I payed 7.00 I cant imagine the cost of a new replacement, and it seems to be dealer item only
Old 12-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Well guys to update this. Since I replaced the crank sensor and spliced in the replacement pigtail problem has not yet reoccured. I will update this if the problem reoccurs or in the spring when the weather warms back up again.
Thanks all
Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Update 7/13/14.
Problem still occurs. It is so random it is quite difficult to pinpoint cause.
All I know is that when it is hot outside and you shut the car off it doesnt always restart.
Sometimes it starts right up but sometimes it just cranks. It never does it when I want it to do it.
I looked for the fuel pressure test port tonight but could not find anything.
I had the beauty cover off and followed the rail to the steel line, it goes to a plastic/rubber line to the firewall but no fitting anywhere I can see.
I would take this car anywhere but unfortunately I am afraid of getting stranded somewhere.
When the car is running it runs perfect. couldnt ask for a better running car, just wont start.
I am debating just replacing the fuel pump assembly. Is there a plate under the back seat?
Also no codes present. light never comes on.
Thanks all
Old 03-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Lightbulb Bump please

Bump please
3/8/17
After alot of trying to figure this problem out I finally ended up buying a kit from Nissan that had both oe crank and cam sensor.
I am hopeful that it is resolved but still dont trust it.
It seems it hasn't acted up in awhile.

Last edited by Soapmyster; 03-08-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Tags
2005, 25s, altima, crank, cranking