Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Altima 2.5L Timing Chain, Tensioner and Guides Forums > > 2005 Altima 2.5L Timing Chain, Tensioner and Guides 2005 Altima 2.5L Timing Chain, Tensioner and Guides
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Default 2005 Altima 2.5L Timing Chain, Tensioner and Guides

Hello to all:

I am a new member and I joined your site to access help with the most problematic car I've ever dealt with. 87,000 miles. Thanks to all who provided helpful hints and advice in their threads on the many issues this car has had.

It was a painful ordeal, but with the help of this site, I made the difficult repair of soldering the ground wire for the transmission solenoid to correct the hard shift from first to second. I also replaced the fuel pump, the crank position sensor and finally the timing chain, guides (ridiculous design btw) and tensioner IN THE CAR. What a job! Unreal the amount of work involved to change a timing chain, etc. The guides had broken apart and fallen down, so the chain got loose and skipped a few teeth. Ended up 13 degrees out of time, which was causing the cam and crank sensors to misread and the car would barely run cold and wouldn't start at all once hot. But it came out great. And after replacing an ignition coil, the car finally runs like new... for now... Not a huge expense, but a LOT OF LABOR..

Thanks again for all the insight!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Glad it worked out. Seems like low mileage, but were the guides plastic? I am used to working on fords so I find our 05 Altima has been great to work on lol
Old 08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Yes, and when I took the timing cover down, I found broken pieces of them.

Tags
2.5, 2005, 25l, altima, chain, guides, tensioner, timing, timing chain