Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Altima  harder and harder to start Forums > > 2003 Altima  harder and harder to start 2003 Altima harder and harder to start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 AM
2003 Altima
2006 Altima

Default 2003 Altima harder and harder to start

Can anyone help a new member? I have a 2003 Altima that is hard to start when it has been sitting for a few hours. It acts like it is not getting ignition (possibly Fuel?)and sputters when you initially start it. Once it gets started it will usually restart ok usually and runs fine once started. I have replaced ignition coils and engine crank sensors but my problems continue. The engine light is not on so no codes are coming up.does any one have any additional advise as the problem is getting worse.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

Instead of replacing the Crankshaft position sensor you should of did the Camshaft position sensor. The Crankshaft position sensor should only be replaced if your vehicle is stalling on the road or at a light. The Camshaft position sensor is the sensor you would want to replace first when you start having issues starting your vehicle. Here are some images of the Camshaft position sensor and its location on your year make, but for the 2.5s, since i'm not sure which engine size you have in your vehicle. Hopefully this is the culprit and not something else.
Attached Thumbnails
2003 Altima  harder and harder to start-2003_nissan_altima_s_camshaft_crankshaft_position_sensors-jpg   2003 Altima  harder and harder to start-nissan_altima_35l_spark_plugs_replacement_procudure_5-gif  
Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 PM
2003 Altima
2006 Altima

I have 2.5 also, I replaced both (Factory Nissan replacement parts). Still the same issue.
Today I
1. Disconnected battery for 1 hr, reconnected battery and let sit approx 1/2 hr.
2. Cleaned connection on crank positioning sensor (blew out with compressed air and it looked like it had maybe very small amount of oil? in it)
3. cleaned intake throttle body and Butterfly intake valve and housing (best I could with rag sprayed with carb. cleaner), it looked a little dirty with a slight oil? residue.
4. Started car and it started fine and seems to be starting right up ( for now anyway)
But now I have an engine code on (since reconnecting the battery and starting the car) and the car seems to be idling high at times(approx. 1500 RPM) after revving engine. I will have to check code and see what Code is (new problem?). I will update after looking @ tomorrow.Thanx for all your Help it is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:42 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin b View Post
I have 2.5 also, I replaced both (Factory Nissan replacement parts). Still the same issue.
Today I
1. Disconnected battery for 1 hr, reconnected battery and let sit approx 1/2 hr.
2. Cleaned connection on crank positioning sensor (blew out with compressed air and it looked like it had maybe very small amount of oil? in it)
3. cleaned intake throttle body and Butterfly intake valve and housing (best I could with rag sprayed with carb. cleaner), it looked a little dirty with a slight oil? residue.
4. Started car and it started fine and seems to be starting right up ( for now anyway)
But now I have an engine code on (since reconnecting the battery and starting the car) and the car seems to be idling high at times(approx. 1500 RPM) after revving engine. I will have to check code and see what Code is (new problem?). I will update after looking @ tomorrow.Thanx for all your Help it is greatly appreciated.
Code is probably P0507 idle speed control. You need to do the idle air volume relearn. You can search the site for the instructions on how to do it manually.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM
2003 Altima
2006 Altima

I reset per the instructions I had found on the site (except for the MIL light part,as my MIL light has been on steady since working on it and did not blink or go off) and it seemed to reset the idle even after revving the engine until I turned the car off and started it again, then the idle was up like before. Do you need to use a code reader and reset the code first? Or do you think I did it incorrectly the first time? Thanks for the help!

Tags
2003, altima, harder, start