Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 nissan altima 2.5 bad tensioner? Forums > > 2006 nissan altima 2.5 bad tensioner? 2006 nissan altima 2.5 bad tensioner?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM
2006 Altima Sedan

Default 2006 nissan altima 2.5 bad tensioner?

First off hello to everybody. I am a noob so I need all the help I can get... I am having a problem (squeeking noise) when my ac is turned on. The belt starts to flop and the belt tensioner seems to rattle. It does not rattle when the ac is turned on so I'm assuming it is the tensioner not being able to hold the tension when the compressor kicks on. Not to sure about it though. I have done numerous searches and was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I have also read that it could be the alternator??? Please help. If it is the belt tensioner, is there a manual or picture on how to change it out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also, is there a way to tighten the tensioner or is it automatic?

Last edited by rejects33; 07-28-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

1. While securely holding the hexagonal part in pulley center of auto-tensioner, move in the direction of arrow (loosening direction of tensioner) using Tool. Tool number : (J-46535) CAUTION:
    • Avoid placing hand in a location where pinching may occur if the holding tool accidentally comes off.
    • Do not loosen the auto-tensioner pulley bolt. (Do not turn it counterclockwise.) If turned counterclockwise, the complete auto-tensioner must be replaced as a unit, including pulley.
  1. Insert a rod approximately 6 mm (0.24 inch) in diameter through the rear of tensioner into retaining boss to lock tensioner pulley.
    • Leave tensioner pulley arm locked until belt is installed again.
  1. Loosen auxiliary drive belt from water pump pulley in sequence, and remove it.
INSTALLATION
  1. Hook the auxiliary drive belt onto all of the pulleys except for the water pump pulley. Hook the drive belt onto water pump pulley last. CAUTION: Confirm belts are completely set on the pulleys.
  2. Release tensioner, and apply tensions to belt. CAUTION:
    • Avoid placing hand in a location where pinching may occur if the holding tool accidentally comes off.
    • Do not loosen the auto-tensioner pulley bolt. (Don't turn it counterclockwise. If turned counterclockwise, the complete auto-tensioner must be replaced as a unit, including pulley.
  1. Turnpulley clockwise several times to equalize tension between each pulley.
  2. Confirm tensions of belt at indicator is within the allowable use range.
NOTE: I don't think you need any special tools, just use a 14mm wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
2006 nissan altima 2.5 bad tensioner?-2010-08-04_205526_tensioner2-gif   2006 nissan altima 2.5 bad tensioner?-2008-07-10_111907_7-gif  
Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 PM
2006 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanAltima01 View Post
  1. While securely holding the hexagonal part in pulley center of auto-tensioner, move in the direction of arrow (loosening direction of tensioner) using Tool. Tool number : (J-46535) CAUTION:
    • Do not loosen the auto-tensioner pulley bolt. (Do not turn it counterclockwise.) If turned counterclockwise, the complete auto-tensioner must be replaced as a unit, including pulley.
  1. Insert a rod approximately 6 mm (0.24 inch) in diameter through the rear of tensioner into retaining boss to lock tensioner pulley.
    • Leave tensioner pulley arm locked until belt is installed again.
  1. Loosen auxiliary drive belt from water pump pulley in sequence, and remove it.
INSTALLATION
  1. Hook the auxiliary drive belt onto all of the pulleys except for the water pump pulley. Hook the drive belt onto water pump pulley last. CAUTION: Confirm belts are completely set on the pulleys.
  2. Release tensioner, and apply tensions to belt. CAUTION:
    • Do not loosen the auto-tensioner pulley bolt. (Don't turn it counterclockwise. If turned counterclockwise, the complete auto-tensioner must be replaced as a unit, including pulley.
  1. Turnpulley clockwise several times to equalize tension between each pulley.
  2. Confirm tensions of belt at indicator is within the allowable use range.
NOTE: I don't think you need any special tools, just use a 14mm wrench.
Appreciate the diagram. It is very helpful. Also forgot to mention that whenever i put the vehicle in drive, the tensioner shakes really bad and the belt flops even more. That being said, if I replace the tensioner, do I need to pull on the tensioner and secure it with at screwdriver to replace it. Also, is there a bolt that I can tighten to make the belt tighter or is it automatically tighten with the tensioner...if that makes any sense.

Last edited by rejects33; 07-28-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

Its going to be the same bolt that you have loosen prior that will need to be re-tightened. You will figure it all out once you start with the work, i'm sure.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 PM
2006 Altima Sedan

ok sounds good. once everything is said and done, i'll update this thread. appreciate the help.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

Sounds like the clutch on the alternator is seized causing belt slap

Tags
2006, altima, bad, nissan, tensioner