Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 2.5 Hard start, idle sputtering even after New Sensors and Pump? Forums > > 2003 2.5 Hard start, idle sputtering even after New Sensors and Pump? 2003 2.5 Hard start, idle sputtering even after New Sensors and Pump?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
2003 Altima

Default 2003 2.5 Hard start, idle sputtering even after New Sensors and Pump?

2003 2.5 Altima 4 cyl. 140K

Been having problems with a hard start. Its intermittent and will turn over but not start. Sounds like it has power from the battery and the starter is turning over. It takes a few tries then will finally start.
It may drive fine for awhile, but then it will start to sputter at idle intermittently

First thing I did was unplug the Negative on the battery and swap out the Fuel pump with a new one, thinking it could be going bad or the regulator.
Started it up, ran okay for a day. Next day same thing.

Did some research and checked the code showing bad Camshaft sensor.
So I replaced both Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors with new Duralast ones with the steel casing.
Started it up and drove around town fine but the next morning it took about 5 tries to get it started and its also continuing to sputter.

I also pulled the MAS and cleaned it with some electronic cleaner, not touching it, just spraying the dust off the sensor.
I also looked into the Intake manifold and it didn't look very dirty at all.

Its not burning any coolant, yet it I do have to put in about 1/2-3/4 of a quart of oil about once a month.

I tried to do an Idle Air relearn but I couldn't seem to get the check engine light to blink following the manual instructions and the revised instructions from others on the forum.

Any other tips would be appreciated.
Thank You
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM
2003 Altima

The Crank and Cam shaft sensors that I swapped were Duralast from Autozone, $33 a piece with the Metal sensor casing.

Question:
Is it crucial to have used the Sensors from the Nissan dealer?
Nissan has the sensors in stock but they are $83 a piece.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Critical components like cam/crank sensors I use only Nissan. I did buy from O'Reilly at first and they were DOA when I test it b4 installing. I am not saying they are no good. A few dealers also sells on the internet. I have bought from Puyallup Nissan (WA), Poha Nissan (SoCal), Courstesy Nissan (TX). They also sells on ebay around.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM
2003 Altima

Okay thanks.

My GF is on her way to the Dealer to pick up the Nissan Crankshaft sensor.
I'll give the Crankshaft sensor a shot first to see if there are any changes.

I can take back the Autozone Duralast part.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

If you are getting the P0340 code then i would probably try replacing the Camshaft position sensor since that is the sensor that is dealing with your starting issues. The Crankshaft position sensor is only if you have stalling issues on the road.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 PM
2003 Altima

Awesome, Thanks guys.

My GF is on her way over with the nissan dealer Sensor right now.
I only bought one from the dealer thinking it would most likely be the Crankshaft sensor. Was gonna swap out the Duralast one that I put in 2 days ago and see if the dealer one made a difference.

When I removed the old Camshaft sensor, I did notice a good amount of oil on the steel can, but didn't think much of it because the camshaft does circulate oil. It wasn't gunked and wiped clean but just wet.
I'll check the connector also to make sure its clean.

Both sensors were replaced with Duralast 2 days ago along with a new Fuel pump a week ago.
If I still have the hard start problem after replacing the Cam sensor, then I will most likely check the Fuel pressure to make sure the fuel pump is working correctly or the line isn't bad.

Also replacing the plugs with new ones.

What is a good compression number for the cylinders?
Im gonna recheck the compression also.

I'll get back with update.

Thanks Again!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 AM
2003 Altima

Changed the Duralst Cam sensor out with the Nissan dealer sensor yesterday along with the plugs. Started up right away. We'll see how it does after its been sitting for awhile.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 AM
2003 Altima

Damn! Still having the same hard start. Took a couple of cranks like if it was starving for gas. After the third turn over and a few pumps on the pedal it started up.

Id like to check the fuel pressure to make sure the new fuel pump is working correctly or if its the fuel line, but I couldn't seem to find a fuel pressure valve to hook up the pressure gauge.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
2003 Altima

Well, unfortunatly, found out what the problem was. Head gasket leaking into cylinder 2 & 3.
Was thinking of taking to mechanic to change the head gasket but we don't feel like putting another $800-1000 into this POS!
Thought about doing it myself also, Im pretty mechanically inclined, just to get it running good enough to sell it. But Im not to familiar with timing and don't know if I want to tackle that job without having to take the engine out!

Now to find out how much its worth.

Tags
2003, hard, idle, pump, sensors, sputtering, start