Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Tight Steering in 05 Altima Repair... u-joint / intermediate shaft Forums > > Tight Steering in 05 Altima Repair... u-joint / intermediate shaft Tight Steering in 05 Altima Repair... u-joint / intermediate shaft
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 AM
2005 Altima

Default Tight Steering in 05 Altima Repair... u-joint / intermediate shaft

Hey guys...

So I've search this site and found multiple people with the same problem as me... A tight steering wheel when you turn your wheel... Mine would be tight for 15 degrees of rotation then be fine and then get tight again. I however could not find a repair guide.. So I did some investigation on my car and found the problem..

As most people have read, the problem is most likely due to a worn u-joint (universal joint in your steering column)... Some people say you need to replace it but I'll show you a way to fix it for almost nothing. The problem with the u-joint is that is become rusted and frozen since it in not protected from the elements... The easy fix (might not be permanate) is to spray the joint with WD -40 and lube the heck out of it

Step 1.
Follow your steering wheel down to your gas and brake peddals. You will see a rubber seal around the steering column that goes through your fire wall.. Remove the plastic clip and slide the rubber cover up.

2: Open your hood and look for the steering column going through the fire wall. Follow the steering column until you find the universal joint and the steering rack. This is the problem area.. Spray WD-40 all over the joint and try to wipe up as much as possible.. Res-pray a few times to remove most of the rust. Also spray down the exposed steering column tube from your driver side seat (step1)

3: Now apply a good amount of lube/grease to the u-joint. Don't be afraid to apply a lot.. Wipe away extra that got onto other parts of the car..

4: Seal the steering column back up from insdie the car and you should be good to go... Will take a few turns of the wheel and maybe a day to see a differeance

Good luck

Please Comment if this was helpful or not..... I do a lot of work on my car but never post... If this helps a lot and people respond I will post more repairs

Last edited by pepi2727; 06-26-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:45 AM
2005 Altima

Did this Help Anyone??? Want to see if I should continue posting repairs

Tags
altima, intermediate, repair, shaft, steering, tight, u-joint replace, ujoint