Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Water Leaking - Front Passenger side  from top - Nissan Altima 2005 Forums > > Water Leaking - Front Passenger side  from top - Nissan Altima 2005 Water Leaking - Front Passenger side from top - Nissan Altima 2005
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM
2005 Almera

Question Water Leaking - Front Passenger side from top - Nissan Altima 2005

Hi,
I have a Nissan Altima SL- 2005 and i have bought it recently from a owner. I have noticed water drops are dropping from the top at passenger side..It happens only when there rain and mostly when the car is parked..this does not happen when the car is on the move when raining.. And there was no leak when the care was washed (automatic)..
Guys Any idea...

Thanks..
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

Does your vehicle come with a sunroof? Where exactly is the leak entering the vehicle? I would check your weather stripping on the top passenger portion of the front windshield and also the passenger window.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 AM
2005 Almera

Yes.. This vehicle has sunroof..The water is leaking near the door where two pieces of interior joining..we can say near the upper part of wind shield..Also some times, water is leaking, if heavy raining, near the rear view mirror., where there is a small box, which can be opend..
Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

This is an easy one!

Did you know that sunroofs are expected to leak? Open the sunroof and look inside from the top, you will see a channel that is supposed to keep water from entering the passenger compartment. This is accomplished by 4 drain holes, 1 in each corner, where water is supposed to exit the channel.

Unfortunately, over time, these drainage holes can become blocked and not let the water through, resulting in water near the mirror or controls for the sunroof. In each corner of the sunroof, these drainage holes are connected to a hose that runs through the body down to each of the quarter panels; the water you see is what is draining out of the sunroof ultimately ending up there.

It doesn't take much to clog these holes. I fashioned a small rubber/plastic hose that had a piece of plastic from the inside of a spray bottle. I then take this homemade contraption and insert it into each hole. Connected to my air compressor, I blow out the line and see the trash and water flow out. Once you have cleaned these holes out, the sunroof shouldn't leak and the water you see under the quarter panel should also go away (it will flow out as needed, not over time since it's clogged).

On my Maxima, I ended up having to take out the y hose connector in the rear quarter panel where the antenna and the sunroof hoses came together as one. It was so clogged that it wouldn't clear using this method. Once removed, I could clean it, reinsert it and the sunroof doesn't leak.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 AM
2005 Almera

Default Leaking after cleanup

Hi,
We cleaned up the Sunroof channel, bu blowing out the air and we have tested the water through it.. When ran the water through the Channel its does not leak and all the water drained out near the front wheel at the both side..
But after while, the water again leaked( i assume the water remained in the channel, and there is not rain)...would the changing the Channel help ??

Tags
2005, altima, front, leaking, nissan, passenger, side, top, water