Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Just performed engine swap - car won't start 4th Gen Altima Forums > > Just performed engine swap - car won't start 4th Gen Altima Just performed engine swap - car won't start 4th Gen Altima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 AM
2009 Altima Sedan
2009 Altima 2.5S

Default Just performed engine swap - car won't start 4th Gen Altima

2009 Altima 2.5 Sedan, so it's the 4th gen QR25DE.

After a main bearing went bad we had to replace the engine with a used one. As a side note, my dad has 30+ years experience as a mechanic, and I've been working on cars with him since before I could drive. This is not our first engine tear down or install.

All wire harnesses are connected.

We kept the crank, cam and other sensors from the replacement engine since it only had 14,000 miles on it.

Car was sitting without power for approximately 3 weeks.

We did not crack open the replacement engine (long block maintained timing alignment, etc).

Engine cranks over, quickly. Seems like it wants to go, but just won't turn over. Haven't pulled codes because I didn't have a code reader and I'll borrow one today to do so, but before I get back to it later tonight is there anything else I may be missing on this engine? Does the ECU need to be re-set? Is there a procedure for establishing fuel pressure in the rail? I don't smell any fuel, and from the exhaust area there is a hint of fuel/rich smell but nothing like combusted fuel. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
2009 Altima Sedan
2009 Altima 2.5S

Spoke with the service manager at the dealership I got my car from and who is familiar with my car from previous service. They told me to try swapping out the crank and cam sensor (we were going to try that as well), and to check all the grounds. Aside from that, replacement engine should be plug and play as was the old. We will try this tonight when I get home and double check all the harnesses (although we did double check the harnesses already). Any other suggestions please post - this is a weird issue.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:59 AM
2009 Altima Sedan
2009 Altima 2.5S

It started right up last night. Either the cam sensor or other sensor wasn't quite plugged in snug or their may have been air in the fuel line (probably the sensor). We checked fuel, signal to spark, and then double checked the entire harness and grounds and then it started right up after. Go figure, sometimes you just work until you are tired and you just need a fresh set of eyes on a project.

If anyone has questions on any part of a tear down on a QR25DE 4th gen, feel free to post! We replaced all seals, including output shaft and torque converter seals. CVT runs SUPER smooth now. Shifts noticeably faster and doesn't hesitate like it did before. I recommend changing this fluid every 30k for best performance.

Tags
2.5, 4th, altima, car, engine, gen, performed, start, swap