Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Cruise control will not set Forums > > Cruise control will not set Cruise control will not set
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 PM
2001 Altima

Default Cruise control will not set

The cruise control was working fine on Friday. It would not set on Monday. When I got to work on Monday morning, I found several pieces of plastic on the drivers side floor mat. Coincidence? I think not. I don't know if the plastic pieces came from under the dash or from the steering column. Any help out there.

Thanks, Les
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

It would of been helpful if you took a picture of these plastic pieces that you found on your driver side floor mat and posted them so we could further insist you. Is your cruise control switch keys still intact? In other words, are the keys for the cruise control switch wobbly or sticky? Is your SES (Service Engine Soon) light on by any chance on your dash? Are you driving a manual or an automatic?

Last edited by NissanAltima01; 05-21-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
2001 Altima

I have the pieces of plastic/rubber that I collected. I never discard evidence. It looks like the remnants of a rubber bumper that's about 1/2" diameter. I will take pictures tomorrow and post.

All of the cruise control switches move and feel exactly the same as when cruise control was working. They don't wobble or stick at all and they are all still intact.

The Service Engine light is not on.

The car has an automatic transmission.

When I step on the brake, the brake lights come on.

There is a vacuum actuated diaphragm on the firewall that looks good. The cable from the diaphragm actuator to the throttle is secure. There's no vacuum on the hose going to the actuator, but I would expect that when the cruise control is not in control of the throttle.

The "CRUISE" indicator on the instrument panel lights up when I activate the cruise control. So I don't think it's a fuse issue.

I hope I have answered all of your questions (and more). If you have more questions, bring’m on.

BTW I replaced the driver side door switch today for the second time. I believe that the plastic piece that activates the driver side window is inferior because it is made of clear plastic. It’s made of painted clear plastic so that an LED can illuminate the word “AUTO” printed on the top of the actuator. OK, now I’m just whining.

Thanks, Les
Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 PM
2001 Altima

Default Cruise Control Issue Diagnosis - Solved

I have diagnosed the cause of my cruise control failure. My initial speculation that the bits of plastic/rubber that I found on the driver's side floor mat were related to the failure turns out to be 100% correct.

Near the top of the brake pedal assembly there are two metal "ears", one to the left of the pedal and one to the right. Each ear has a hole about 3/8" diameter into which is press-fit a rubber bumper. Each of these rubber bumpers engages a switch under the dash when the brake pedal is not pressed. The left switch is the Cruise Cancel switch and the right switch is the Stop Light switch. The bits of plastic/rubber that I found on the driver's side floor mat were the remnants of the disintegrated rubber bumper that's supposed to engage the Cruise Cancel switch. Without the rubber bumper, the plunger for the Cruise Cancel switch fits neatly through the hole in the metal ear and the cruise control logic thinks that the brake is always being pressed.

I rigged a temporary replacement bumper and fastened it in place with electrical tape. Sure enough, the cruise control would set and work perfectly. I only used this temporary fix to confirm the cause of the failure and I do NOT recommend this to anyone as a permanent fix.

Now I need to find a proper replacement part. Are there any ideas within the community out there? Also, I have uploaded a schematic showing the location of the rubber bumper.

Thanks, Les
Attached Thumbnails
Cruise control will not set-rubber-bumper-jpg  
Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

You can try ebay, rockauto, or nissanpartswarehouse. If you can't find the part number or get the part number from another user on this forum, maybe you can call the dealer and find out the exact name and part number there.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

Those parts are ridiculously expensive once you throw freight into them.

I own a Maxima and discovered the pieces in the floor and actually documented this a couple of weeks ago in the Max forum.

Anyway, some suggest taking a dime and taping it over the hole, maybe using gorilla tape or something. I didn't like that idea. I have a air powered staple gun that uses staples that are U-shaped. I clamped them a little bit and then slid them over the metal and this covered the hole; my cruise control works now.

Some suggested that one of those interior door clips would work. I also found a piece of plastic that might work as well. If you need a oil filter wrench, go to Walmart and find a Fram one that fits your oil filter. The plastic piece that attached the oil filter wrench to the cardboard looks like a perfect fit for the hole in the brake pedal where this piece needs to go.

My research showed the part was like 4.99 but the shipping was always greater than $10.00.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:41 PM
2003 Frontier Crew Cab
1989 Frontier

Default cruise control fix

Yep,an interior door panel clip,(in this case a clip from my `89 Nissan Hardbody/82,000 miles),fit my `03 crew cabs cruise control hole just fine,and Won`t fall out either. You can get them at any auto parts store in your neighborhood. ;0

Tags
control, cruise, set