Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Replaced 2006 Altima Serpentine belt, now won't start Forums > > Replaced 2006 Altima Serpentine belt, now won't start Replaced 2006 Altima Serpentine belt, now won't start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 PM
2006 Altima Sedan
2006 Altima

Default Replaced 2006 Altima Serpentine belt, now won't start

I just replaced the serpentine belt on my 2006 Altima. Seemed simple enough. Hah.
Trouble is, it turns over but won't start. Think I may have knocked a sensor loose somewhere? Everything seems in place.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Don't remember anything by the belt that can cause a no start situation. Did you disconnect any connectors?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
2006 Altima Sedan
2006 Altima

Default Stumped

Thanks for the reply. I did not disconnect anything. I just now removed the wheel and access panel again and checked for any loose wires/connectors. Nothing. Only thing nearby was what looked like a camshaft position sensor/actuator, but it was in place and frankly I don't think I touched it with the belt or anything.

The only thing I did after replacing the belt was to turn the engine over with a wrench on the crankshaft pulley to even tension on the belt. Turned it about 1/2 turn. Also cleaned and tightened the battery terminals.

Tried starting it again just now. Same results. Won't start and it sounds a little different when it turns over. Not quite as fast as before.

I have worked on cars for years and have never had to have one towed after a home repair. Guess there is always a first time. Any more suggestions?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Does the security light stays solid ON when you are cranking the engine?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima Dude View Post
The only thing I did after replacing the belt was to turn the engine over with a wrench on the crankshaft pulley to even tension on the belt. Turned it about 1/2 turn. Also cleaned and tightened the battery terminals.
1. double check your work for proper belt routing. the belt is 6 ribs, 2247mm inside measurement, or 88.5 inches long. i am curious how you removed the old belt. you are supposed to turn the auto tensioner clockwise with a socket and wrench to ease tension and remove belt. Or insert a short screw driver or 3-4 inches 4mm bolt or something similar in the retaining boss to keep tension off while installing the new belt. simply release the retaining boss and you're done.

2. also inspect the battery cable. could some cable strands be damage/broken off from corrosion thus not enough juice delivered to starter. also there may be black or red small wires that needs to be re-connected.

if problem persists i am not sure the consequences of turning the crankshaft pulley with all the tension/resistance from the drive pulleys.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
if problem persists i am not sure the consequences of turning the crankshaft pulley with all the tension/resistance from the drive pulleys.
That's actually a good advise. remove the drive belts and try starting the engine.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:50 PM
2006 Altima Sedan
2006 Altima

Well, it all ended well. Not sure how, though.

AAA truck showed up and driver cranked it over also. (I left the belt on.) Same result. He put battery jumper pack on it and just kept cranking. Finally it sputtered and fired up. A little white mist from the exhausts for about 30 seconds, but it idled and ran perfectly. I drove it to work.

To answer the above questions, the red security light stayed off while I was cranking it. Is that significant? Also I followed the above procedure to replace the belt and triple-checked the belt routing.

When it did not start, it was as if it was not getting any fuel. My only guess is that disconnecting the battery to clean the terminals may have reset something. BUT I have removed the battery before several times to clean it and have never had this problem.

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

[MENTION=117248]Altima Dude[/MENTION]

Thanks for letting us know and I'm glad is running now.

Quote:
To answer the above questions, the red security light stayed off while I was cranking it. Is that significant?
If the light stays ON, it means that there is a problem with the key. That the ECM is not reading the key.

Tags
2006, altima, belt, replaced, serpentine, start, won't start