Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Help please!!! Push button wont work!!! Forums > > Help please!!! Push button wont work!!! Help please!!! Push button wont work!!!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
2009 Altima

Default Help please!!! Push button wont work!!!

Ok I really need some help, on Christmas Eve my wife went to work just fine when she was leaving and he car wouldn't start. I attempted to go to her rescue and save the day with jumper cables come to find out it that did not work. I called AAA had it towed to my house in attempts to work on it there and attempt to make it to a family party on time.

I would like to say I'm pretty handy and try to do all my own work for enjoyment and satisfaction. I have read forums saying to try change the key battery, so I replaced that, NOPE didn't work. Then I read to get the battery tested could be low amperage, so I replaced that, NOPE didn't work! So then I called Nissan and an my warranty ended 7 month ago and it would be $129.99 for them to just diagnose the car. Does anyone have any clue and can help me please???

The car will not even go to AUX mode it locks and unlocks the alarm goes off and the trunk pops so I doubt it's the key not being programmed. I can't get it to do anything. I read a break relay? Would that be it???
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. have wife step on the brake and you go to the rear and see if brake lights are on. if on, brake switch is good.
2. is check engine light on. if on, get the trouble codes. if not on, check the link below. hope this helps you.

09 altima wont start
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Take the steering wheel lock and hold it down so you can freely move the steering wheel up and down. Shake the steering wheel up and down HARD. This will release the steering wheel lock that is bad in your steering column. There is a technical service bulletin for this. The part number is in the bulletin. Im sorry your out of warrenty, because the part alone is 500 and an hour and a half or two on labor. I was gifted with one of these from dealer who couldnt figure it out. It took me a while to figure out electrical with nothing to go on. I bypassed the brake switch to make sure it wasnt that like the other guy on her said. And found out the electronic steering wheel lock assembly completes the circut for ignition and when the lock assembly sticks and doesnt release wala no start symptom. The altima I did this to has not done it again. It is not fixed and will probably happen again. He didnt have 1000 to fix it, and it was 1 month out of warranty. The new part is made differently and doesnt stick. The car was the same year as yours. I hope everyone on here reads this for this problem it took me a good part of the day to figure out and see this on here alot for alot of pushstarts. Hope I helped, let me know how it works out.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 PM
2009 Altima

Hey guys thanks but no luck! I have shaken the crap out of the steering column, replaced the push button fuse, and replaced the break relay. I am going out of my mind with this car, I spoke to a friend of my wife who had worked for Nissan and told me theres a wiring harness could be the problem. I'm thinking of trying that next but its $200 his cost. I am just clueless at this point! Any thoughts?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default keyless entry

Hey sorry the trick didnt work for you but that doesnt mean that this isnt the problem. The lock assebly will stick itself internally and wont free itself. I highly doubt that it is a harness issue. Unless there was fire water or crash damage. I want you to see if you can turn the steering wheel left to right or if its in the lock position. I should of asked you that before. When the car came in to the shop i remember now that the steering wheel was unlocked when car was off you shouldnt be able to turn the wheel when car is off. That is the function of this electronic lock to prevent theft and lock wheel. When I slammed steering wheel up and down I heard the lock release and the car started and when I turned it off the steering wheel locked. check that first and let me look at diagram again
Old 12-29-2012, 04:00 AM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Default keyless

Also are you bottoming out the steering column when you are shaking it? You need yo bang it on the top and bottom of the column so it internally frees the stuck lock. Not just shake the wheel. Ill look up diagram today for you and see where it goes. Let me know.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 AM
2008 Altima Coupe

Any update on this? I am having the same issue, and believe it is the wiring harness, like a connection has come loose or something. I managed to turn my car on while i had jumper cables on it and I also shook the steering wheel. I am not sure if it was the battery being jumped or me shaking the steering wheel. After having my car on for about 30 minutes and driving a few miles (the key warning light stayed on), when I push the button to turn it off it did not turn off, but the warning light went away, ok... I pushed it again and the car turned off. I pushed it again to turn it back on and it turned on and i did not see a warning light.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:25 PM
2002 Altima Sedan
2009 Altima Sedan
2009 Altima

Default Steering lock and ignition switch assembly

See Nissan Service Bulletin NTB10-053
When trying to start the vehicle, I noticed the ignition did not come on at all when pushing the “start button”. None of the lights illuminated on the cluster yet all other lights worked (dome light, headlights, brake lights etc..) and the battery was checked and confirmed good. Everything that would normally get powered up with the ignition “on” did not have power. The gauges, instrument cluster lights and warning indicators did not illuminate when the push button was depressed. I was also able to turn the steering wheel back and forth even with the Intelligent Key removed and away from the vehicle.

This has happened to me twice. In 2014 the repair was under warranty. In 2021, it was not under warranty. So I figure this is a part that has to be replaced every 5 years at a cost in excess of $1,000.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:58 AM
2009 Altima Sedan

Default Replaced Steering Lock Mechanism- Still not working

I had the yellow key light come on, car stayed in lock and couldnt start it. I replaced the part under the wheel and got the car to start. Drove it around, parked, shut it off, then couldnt start it again. The light came back on, I took the part out and it was not triggered so it wasnt the part any more. Tried to take reset the battery by taking the negative terminal off, still nothing. What should i do?!
Old 03-23-2022, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalano View Post
See Nissan Service Bulletin NTB10-053
When trying to start the vehicle, I noticed the ignition did not come on at all when pushing the “start button”. None of the lights illuminated on the cluster yet all other lights worked (dome light, headlights, brake lights etc..) and the battery was checked and confirmed good. Everything that would normally get powered up with the ignition “on” did not have power. The gauges, instrument cluster lights and warning indicators did not illuminate when the push button was depressed. I was also able to turn the steering wheel back and forth even with the Intelligent Key removed and away from the vehicle.

This has happened to me twice. In 2014 the repair was under warranty. In 2021, it was not under warranty. So I figure this is a part that has to be replaced every 5 years at a cost in excess of $1,000.
My friend recently got t this Altima with the same push button issue happened twice. I'll pass that service bulletin tomorrow when I help him install the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto his Wrangler.

Tags
button, push, work