Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Gas mileage Forums > > Gas mileage Gas mileage
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast
1996 Altima
1996 Altima

Default Gas mileage

What would be a reasonable estimate of the expected fuel mileage of the 96-97 Altima? Obviously, many factors could weigh in here, but I am looking for a reasonable "best guess" on a vehicle with no major driveability issues, 160,000 miles on it, and proper/regular maintenance?

Just as obviously, while I understand that spark plugs, timing, and other basic factors are key to this question, are there any vehicle-specific changes which could be made in an attempt to increase gas mileage? I am thinking along the line of on-board computer modifications, similar to those in which you chip-swap or short the resistors to run rich for performance.

While I am certainly not thinking that I know more than the engineers who designed this engine, I also know that quite often there are little tricks which are not necessarily common knowledge that can be used to modify the vehicles running profile.

Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

Modifying your engine with these reprogrammable chips or changing the way the fuel system works would practically ruin the engine overtime and can cause smog issues down the road. Well, the fuel economy for a 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive is about 21/29mpg and the 5-Speed Manual Overdrive is about 24/30mpg for a 4 cylinder 96 Altima and i'm sure its alittle below that for a V6.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast
1996 Altima
1996 Altima

It's the automatic. I was just hoping for a little better MPG than that! I didn't actually expect the proposed modifications to be effective-long term or short. They vary rarely are. But if you don't ask, you don't know!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Gas mileage rating for a brand new 96 Altima with A/T is 18 mpg city and 26 mpg highway with a federal rated combined mileage of 21 mpg. The Sentras got descent mileage in the mid-90's, but the Altima was fair, at best. There was no V6 option for U13 Altimas; the Altima didn't see an available V6 until 2002. As far as the resistors, they will usually cause the engine to use more gas as they give the computer a false temperature reading, as opposed to letting the intake air temp sensor do its job. As far as the ECM on the U13 Altima, it is non-flashable and there is no easily removable chip; a modified chip would have to be soldered onto the board after removing the original. JWT can do this, but it's a lot of money and generally reserved for power gains and not so much for fuel mileage. Best way to improve gas mileage is to modify the way you drive (easy take offs, coasting to stops, smooth on the throttle). Next would be to keep it properly tuned and use quality parts, preferably genuine Nissan or NGK. Keep the throttle body clean inside. Keep the tires properly inflated and use low-rolling resistance tires. You can also look at opening up the exhaust. Just don't spend more money on parts and mods that won't pay for themselves in the long run with the increase in gas mileage.

Last edited by smj999smj; 12-02-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast
1996 Altima
1996 Altima

Yes, I had/have considered all of these, especially the exhaust. However, I am not going to start dumping money into this vehicle. At least not any more than I already have!

No, after much thought, I am going to take the loss and unload this car on the open market. It really is a nice little car, it's just not what I have a need for, so there is no need in keeping it.

Tags
gas, mileage