Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2013 Altima engine noise recall Forums > > 2013 Altima engine noise recall 2013 Altima engine noise recall
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

C = Smyrna, TN
N = Canton, MS
Your vehicle has 17 digit VIN #. The 11th character is assigned to the plant it is manufactured/assembled. Yours was made in Smyrna, TN.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 AM
2013 Altima Sedan

Thanks bennyb53.
I just test drove a brand new one. manufacture date 3/13. Same issue with the belt. I love this vehicle , but this needs to be fixed by Nissan. i will try to contact them to see what they say.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 AM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima

we have seen several customers complaining about the belt noise. Nissan finally put out a bulletin for this issue on Thursday. NTB# 13-040... The fix is replacing the belt tensioner. This has been in talks for several weeks and the bulletin is finally out. Take it in to your dealer and if its under warranty, they'll put a tensioner on it!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewata View Post
Hello,
I'm glad i found this thread. I bought a used 2013 Altima SV from a dealer with 3300 miles on it in Dec. It was perfect until around 5k.

1.The steering whining noise is horrid and it whines for a few seconds after the engine is shut off. I 'm hoping for a recall on this but will try what Aenergy recommended.

2. Light pedal acceleration (rpm 1500-2000) the vehicle shudders and engine rumbles. This also occurs at higher speeds when trying to increase speed lightly or when using cruise control. After several visits to a local Nissan dealership. They found a technical bulletin (not sure) and told me it was the engine belt. It took 3 weeks to get the belt in and for about 1k, all was functioning perfectly. Unfortunately, it's back!! It seems there is a design issue here. (Acoustic58 mentioned this) The more miles, the worse it gets.

3. Smell of burning plastic all the time. I am guessing it to be the engine belt. The belt must be wearing down.

4. City gas milage avg. is 19. I am assuming the engine belt might be causing efficiency issues as well. Anyone have similar issues?

5. Navigation/Bluetooth lock ups. this happens randomly.

This can be great vehicle and a great value. I'm not sure if anyone out there has any ideas or solutions . I'm thinking of trading it in for a new one, i'm just not sure if these issues are still there on the newer production batches.

Also, i use a vent mount for my iPhone, when using bluetooth for music and calls, i would get interference. It seems that having the phone that close to the navi bluetooth causes interference, once i move it farther away from the dash, it functions perfectly.

Thanks for the information bennyb53. What is the letter code for the 2013 canton units? my last 8 digits are DC116779
there is also a bulletin for the power steering whine! take it to your dealer... we can install a noise dampening kit under warranty to get rid of the noise. The bulletin is #NTB13-017
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 AM
2013 Altima Sedan

That's great news on the whine! Thank you Jacarter220.
I also contacted Nissan on the unsuccessful replacement of the belt tensioner and they are sending out a tech. I will post the results
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM
2013 Altima Sedan

Update - Just got a call from Nissan and they informed me they do have new counter measures coming out at the end of april regarding the shudder and vibration. These are different from the original solution of changing the belt tensioner. They have scheduled me at the dealer on May 7th. I will post the results.

Update- Fix was a one way clutch alternator + pulley + belt change. It's been over a month and I can say that the fix is working so far. Nissan was very responsive but had limited parts and the fix was implemented in May. I believe there is a technical bulletin out there. The vehicle is running smooth.

Also, the steering wheel noise was mitigated and is no longer an issue.

Thanks all for you help

Last edited by Sewata; 06-26-2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

We'll be uploading the NTB13-017 bulletin for power steering noise on the next couple of days.

We have just uploaded a bulletin for a wind noise.

For the latest 2013 Nissan Altima service bulletins: 2013 Nissan Altima Sedan Service Bulletins - Nissanhelp.com
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima Altima

Will they be coming a bulletin about the fuel slosh? It has driven me crazy!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima Altima

Quote:
Hello,
I'm glad i found this thread. I bought a used 2013 Altima SV from a dealer with 3300 miles on it in Dec. It was perfect until around 5k.

1.The steering whining noise is horrid and it whines for a few seconds after the engine is shut off. I 'm hoping for a recall on this but will try what Aenergy recommended.

2. Light pedal acceleration (rpm 1500-2000) the vehicle shudders and engine rumbles. This also occurs at higher speeds when trying to increase speed lightly or when using cruise control. After several visits to a local Nissan dealership. They found a technical bulletin (not sure) and told me it was the engine belt. It took 3 weeks to get the belt in and for about 1k, all was functioning perfectly. Unfortunately, it's back!! It seems there is a design issue here. (Acoustic58 mentioned this) The more miles, the worse it gets.

3. Smell of burning plastic all the time. I am guessing it to be the engine belt. The belt must be wearing down.

4. City gas milage avg. is 19. I am assuming the engine belt might be causing efficiency issues as well. Anyone have similar issues?

5. Navigation/Bluetooth lock ups. this happens randomly.

This can be great vehicle and a great value. I'm not sure if anyone out there has any ideas or solutions . I'm thinking of trading it in for a new one, i'm just not sure if these issues are still there on the newer production batches.

Also, i use a vent mount for my iPhone, when using bluetooth for music and calls, i would get interference. It seems that having the phone that close to the navi bluetooth causes interference, once i move it farther away from the dash, it functions perfectly.

Thanks for the information bennyb53. What is the letter code for the 2013 canton units? my last 8 digits are DC116779
It's unfortunate that you are experiencing that. I went through hell trying to get my issues resolved including filing complaints with MD General Attorney Complaint Division as well as with the BBB and go me nowhere because Nissan had claimed and continues to insists that the noises are normal for this vehicle. There is obviously a lot of design flaws with this Altima and it's really unfortunate. I would smell rubber burning from time to time but I couldn't figure out if it was coming from my vehicle becuase I would only smell it when I got out of the vehicle. Good news, I traded it in for a 2013 Honda Accord; Bad news, lost a bit of money but overall I'm very happy and so content with my new vehicle. I'm not driving frustrated anymore like I used to. 5 months of headache. 20 years of loyalty to Nissan and now, moving on to something better. Good luck with your issues. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagger View Post
Will they be coming a bulletin about the fuel slosh? It has driven me crazy!
Unfortunately I'm not aware of any bulletins about the fuel tank slosh.

We have uploaded the bulletin about the power steering noise, you can downloaded here: 2013 Nissan Altima Sedan Service Bulletins - Nissanhelp.com
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 AM
2013 Altima Sedan

Thanks for your support jagger and sorry to hear what you had to go through. I'm glad you found another vehicle that you like. I test drove the Accord last week. It was a very nice ride and I could feel the difference in the CVT's. It was smoother but not as sporty. The interior did not match the Altima and i felt very old driving it compared to the Altima cockpit feel. I really like the Altima and will give them the benefit of the doubt until may. Otherwise I will most likely follow your path.
Also, I am experiencing the slosh as well and will point it out to the tech.

Most manufactures have issues on new models. I looked at the Honda accord forum and they had plenty off issues; including brake squeak, cvt complaints, engine vibration and pull. The Altima i am driving is one of the first to come out. Manufacture date is June 2012.
Thanks and best of luck

Last edited by Sewata; 04-09-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: adding info about honda accord issues to be fair to nissan
Old 04-18-2013, 03:42 AM
2013 Altima Sedan

Can someone upload service bulletin NTB13-040 to this forum? I wanted to take a look to see what the service procedure is for this issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
2013 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Update - Just got a call from Nissan and they informed me they do have new counter measures coming out at the end of april regarding the shudder and vibration. These are different from the original solution of changing the belt tensioner. They have scheduled me at the dealer on May 7th. I will post the results.
Sewata, Did you bring your car back to the dealer yesterday to get the vibration fixed? If so, what did they replace and did it fix the problem?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 PM
2013 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic58 View Post
For those of you, including myself, that was anxious and couldn't wait to pre-order the new 2013 Altima, this is something that you need to be aware of.

There seems to be a common complaint about the noise level on the 4 cylinder 2013 Altima's that seems to be coming out of the engine / transmission. It's frustrating for those that are dealing with this because it was not an issue with the 2012's and it is also not an issue with the six cylinders. I dont blame the local dealers because most of the sales staff did not have any idea what the 2013 would bring except for what they found on-line and in the brochures. Basically the same information the consumer can find on their own.

This low rumbling sound during acceleration became annoying to the point where I brought it back to the dealer and drove another Altima with the same engine to compare them both. Surprisingly, the second car did not have an issue. After many conversations between the service manager and Nissan headquarters, it was determined ( listen up ) that the first group of Altima's that were shipped out had an engine belt that was the wrong size. The result was that a loud obnoxious rumble sound was created during acceleration. The second car that I drove had the correct size belt so that was fixed by Nissan before it was shipped out. This seems to be a known issue at Nissan but for some reason there is no recall, which clearly needs to happen for the early released cars.

Now that the rumble noise is gone, I am hearing a new sound which is a high pitched whine coming out of the engine compartment. This seems to be another known issue because many people have contacted Nissan about this and the comment that most people are sharing is that Nissan's response was " the sound is coming from the power steering motor and it is normal " if that is true, it is a slap in the face to every customer that they have because they think we are that stupid to believe that we are supposed to be hearing a noise like that on a brand new car, especially after paying $30,000 for it. Nissan needs to address this issue as well.

To sum up the the 2013 Altima, I would say that it is beautiful both inside and out but after already having two recalls, and now this belt issue , plus the whine from the power steering unit, I would never recommend this car to anyone until they get their act together. I believe Nissan truly cares about their product but in the case of the 2013 newly redesigned Altima, they should have waited to release it until is was mechanically ready.
It is time for all of us to get are money back they can not fix it .I got my 2013 Altima in sept of 2012. I had my first big problem at 650 miles problem with the cvt it sound like it was breaking apart I have asked them to fix this problems for a long time it is not the dealer it is Nissan problem. My car has now be in the shop for two week now took it in 4/25/2013 it is now 5/10/2013 I was told it would be 2 days I am not calling them I will just wait I have their rental car 2013 Altima has same problems. 1. cabin auto air temp out of control 2.High pitch noise fro power steering pump 3. Bad vibration at 1500 rpm been shop time for that 4. Radio XM problem fixed with software but put in new problem in radio it resets goes back to ch 1 I am not waiting 6ths for that to get fixed 5. blue tooth phone list names is not a list it is one name work poorly. I will get my money back from Nissan if not fixed when I pick it up because it is staying there if not fixed. I had nissan before this car for 6 yr never had to take it back for any thing. This is how they treat a repeat customers. I have talked to Nissan and had many problem number given to me with no fix. I am sick of waiting . We are all in the same boat poor Nissan support.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast
2013 Altima Altima

Quote:
Thanks for your support jagger and sorry to hear what you had to go through. I'm glad you found another vehicle that you like. I test drove the Accord last week. It was a very nice ride and I could feel the difference in the CVT's. It was smoother but not as sporty. The interior did not match the Altima and i felt very old driving it compared to the Altima cockpit feel. I really like the Altima and will give them the benefit of the doubt until may. Otherwise I will most likely follow your path.
Also, I am experiencing the slosh as well and will point it out to the tech.

Most manufactures have issues on new models. I looked at the Honda accord forum and they had plenty off issues; including brake squeak, cvt complaints, engine vibration and pull. The Altima i am driving is one of the first to come out. Manufacture date is June 2012.
Thanks and best of luck
I hope everything works out for you as well and Nissan fixes/addresses all your issues with your Altima. I know I didn't get anywhere with them and it got to the point where I drove angry every day. While I loved my Altima, there were too many problems/flaws I couldn't deal with. It was definitely a big dissapointment to me because I had been such a big fan of Nissan for 20 years. What I hated the most about my experience was teh fact that a Nissan Rep said and I quote, "Just because you are bothered by these things doesn't mean that other people are. Some people are less concerned about minor things." Not to mention time I lost from work taking my car to three different dealerhips, writing complaints after complaints that ultimately led to a waste of time. Yes, Honda forum has a lot complaints as well but thank goodness, mine has no signs of problems so far. I think Nissan is making effort to address concerns from consumers. I'm hearing service bulletins come out so they must be listening to their consumers as they should. Good luck!

Tags
2013, altima, engine, noise, recall