Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2013 Altima Automatic Transmission Dipstick Forums > > 2013 Altima Automatic Transmission Dipstick 2013 Altima Automatic Transmission Dipstick
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM
2013 Altima

Default 2013 Altima Automatic Transmission Dipstick

Can anyone tell me how to remove the transmission fluid dipstick on a 2013 Altima? It has a locking mechanism and as I have searched for an answer on on this website, it appears that prior year Altima's also have the dipstick lock, but they appear to be different than the lock on the new 2013 Altima. There is an opening on the top of the 2013 dipstick lock mechanism but no opening on the front where on prior models the instructions were to put a screw driver in the opening on the front of the dipstick. I did try putting a small screw driver in the opening on the top of my 2013 dipstick to see if if there was someting to unlach but was unsuccessful? Has anyone figured out how to remove it?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

The new Altima doesn't have a trans dipstick it is checked with a drip style gauge from drain plug
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 AM
2013 Altima

My understanding is that it is the CVT dipstick. If not, then what is this dipstick that has the locking mechanism on it. thanks.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermgr View Post
My understanding is that it is the CVT dipstick. If not, then what is this dipstick that has the locking mechanism on it. thanks.
That is just a plug. It doesn't have anything on it.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM
2013 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
That is just a plug. It doesn't have anything on it.

Interesting - it sure looks like the top of a dipstick similar to prior year models. However, since this locked plug is covering the opening of the CVT fluid charging pipe preventing access when needing to add or change the CVT fluid, how is this plug unloced so it can be removed. thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Interesting - it sure looks like the top of a dipstick similar to prior year models. However, since this locked plug is covering the opening of the CVT fluid charging pipe preventing access when needing to add or change the CVT fluid, how is this plug unloced so it can be removed. thanks
The fluid is filled through the drain plug hole. A charging pipe is installed and the fluid is replaced with a pump.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 PM
2013 Altima

Quote:
The fluid is filled through the drain plug hole. A charging pipe is installed and the fluid is replaced with a pump.
Thanks for the reply. Will you please tell me then what is this locking mechanism I have that looks like a dipstick cap on top of what appears to be a charging pipe and why are they on the 2013 Altima if they serve no function? thanks.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:46 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Will you please tell me then what is this locking mechanism I have that looks like a dipstick cap on top of what appears to be a charging pipe and why are they on the 2013 Altima if they serve no function? thanks.
I asked the same question. The answer I got was that the early ones have them but they will no longer be installed. The fluid level is critical on the CVT so they changed the way they fill them. You could add fluid through that tube but you will not be able to check the level through it.
Also I have removed that locking cap to check. It is basically the top of a dipstick without a stick attached to it. It just caps the pipe.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 PM
2013 Altima

Quote:
I asked the same question. The answer I got was that the early ones have them but they will no longer be installed. The fluid level is critical on the CVT so they changed the way they fill them. You could add fluid through that tube but you will not be able to check the level through it.
Also I have removed that locking cap to check. It is basically the top of a dipstick without a stick attached to it. It just caps the pipe.
ng

Thanks. I will now just leave it alone and quit trying to figure out how to remove it. I was thinking I could at least inspect the fluid if the cap could be removed.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM
2013 Altima

Very helpful informaton....thanks mpe235
I was thinking abt pulling out the cvt dip stick for my 2013 too.
I did that for my 2008 to check the fluid.
Well, if the 2013 doesn't have a dip stick...
there no point to just pull out the cap.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 AM
2013 Altima

Quote:
mpe235: I am curious as to how were you able to remove the cap. Will you please share. I sure couldn't figure out how to unlock it to remove it and quit trying once I read your last thread and before I ended up breaking it.

Tags
2013, altima, automatic, dipstick, transmission