Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on Forums > > Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 PM
2013 Altima

Exclamation Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on

2013 Altima SV:
Problem with the 7" Touch Screen Media/Nav system, The screen we just turn off and turn on again. Screen goes blank and comes back?

1st day with new 2013 Altima;
I will be calling my SalesRep tomorrow for sure.

Is anyone having the same problem?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 AM
2012 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTFamily View Post
2013 Altima SV:
Problem with the 7" Touch Screen Media/Nav system, The screen we just turn off and turn on again. Screen goes blank and comes back?

1st day with new 2013 Altima;
I will be calling my SalesRep tomorrow for sure.

Is anyone having the same problem?
I have exactly the same problem in a 2.5 SL. Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 AM
2013 Altima

I will post once I find a solution or not...I am bringing the car in for service very soon.

Last edited by RSTFamily; 10-14-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
2012 Altima

Thank you!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:29 PM
2013 Altima

Default 2013 Altima SL 2.5 display blanking

I too have seen this MANY times over the past month. Shortly after delivery of my car, I headed from Arkansas to New Orleans and back. The 7" LCD screen blanked out more times that I care to count. It happened mostly when the navigation was active, but it also occurred multiple times with the XM radio screen displayed. A few times it was 2-3 times within about 10 minutes, but mostly about every 25 miles or so.

During the blanking, everything kept working as before. The radio did not stop, the nav was being updated and once back on, all was good for the time being.

A second event of concern was a dialog box that showed up and covered most of the navigation screen that said "Please pay attention to traffic. Not available while driving." This box covered the turn information on the right side of the screen as well as the remaining time to destination and everything in the middle of the display. It could be cleared by pressing the "Map" button, but in a few seconds it would return. I thought a shut down of the car and restart might clear it, but it did not. However, later in the day, it did clear and so far, has not returned. Navigation not available while driving? What gives?

I made an appointment with the local service department and took it in today. They told me that they "could not troubleshoot these problem unless they could recreate them". I guess their eyes will see the problem differently than mine and they will instantly know what to do. Overall it was a classic service department case of "BS" that they use when they don't have a clue about a high tech problem. They all but called me a liar as they had no previous records of such an occurrence. I ask if they contacted Nissan to check and they said "No" since they could not recreate the problem to discuss it with them.

I hope Nissan monitors this board and will investigate the problem and find a fix. I would like to hear from them directly.

Last edited by gcotton; 10-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 PM
2013 Altima

Interesting....I will be taken my car in sometime next week. I will making sure I sit with one of the Tech/Servise Rep and show him what happens...I will not stand for BS.

I noticed it will happen more often if I'm playing with the Menu buttons. That should get there Attention quickly.

Will update when I get more info...and yes I tried all what you did, even resetting back to factory defaults, nothing worked.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
2013 Altima

Default Touch Screen turns off (blank) and on

I purchased a 2013 Altima SL with tech/nav package three days ago and am already having the exact same problem with the display frequently going blank off an on repeatedly as the other posts have described. I called the dealership yesterday and was told to bring it in but haven't yet so am very interested in how others may have been able to solve this same issue. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
2013 Altima

Default Salesman followup

Yesterday my salesman called me to see how the "service" went. I pretty much told him what I posted above and he was not a happy camper with his Service Department and was going to "speak" with them. He has not called me back yet.

I saw on the national news that there's a recall on the 2013 Altima for "loose nuts". I just hope it's not meant for the ones of us who have reported on the touch screen problem and sitting behind the wheel. Seriously, I don't know which models or assembly plants are involved yet. Your dealer will notify you as soon as they know something.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM
2013 Altima

Default Follow UP

I haven't taken the car for service yet, I'm waiting for a call from their Service Department on a Back-Order to install some lighting.

I also plan on making a video of the problem we are all experiencing with the 7" MultiMedia Screen we have from blacking in & out. That way; "we don't have to hear the old phrase that they can't duplicate the problem", they can see it directly from my smartphone video player.

I suspect the problem it has to do with some sort of digital switch that is in control of the rear camera. If you haven't noticed yet...the screen goes black for a second when you go in reverse...except it goes black for us when we don't go in reverse...lol.

Also Note: The recall for loose bolts is for only about 5,000 cars made between June 4th - July 26th that was assembled in Canton, Mississippi. Some workers didn't torge the bolts correctly. They just want to be safe and re-check and re-torge the bolts.

You can check the stickers on the "Driver side" door jamb for the date of Manufacture. If your car was made before or after the dates above, your good to go.

>>> Back to the main problem we all want fixed; " The 7" Multimedia Display. Lets keep this thread for only the Screen Problem please. <<<

I will post again when I have more to keep you all updated on. Please do likewise.

Robert T....
Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 AM
2013 Altima

Great idea about videoing the screen problem. I will likewise send and update when I take it to the dealership.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:53 AM
2012 Altima

Strangely, my blanking screen problem fixed itself after a few days. Likely to be a software rather than hardware problem.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
2012 Altima

I realize that "blanking" is an swear word in England. Just got back from London. But I do mean the problem with the screen blacking out. :)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM
2012 Altima

Screen blanking is back. Improvement was just a fluke. Has anyone figured out what the problem is caused by. Hardware issue requiring replacement of Nav/Radio unit or software fixed by reprogramming?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM
2013 Altima

I have the exact same problems on my 3.5 SL w/tech:
  • Screens goes blank randomly then turns back on after a couple seconds,
  • Persistent "Pay attention to the road" message on center of screen won't go away unless I stop the car and start it again
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM
2013 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclaux View Post
I have the exact same problems on my 3.5 SL w/tech:
  • Screens goes blank randomly then turns back on after a couple seconds,
  • Persistent "Pay attention to the road" message on center of screen won't go away unless I stop the car and start it again
I never have had the "pay attention to the road message" but Nav screen goes blank, freezes, and de-pixilates frequently, and when it does all the backlit push buttons buttons (Nav, Map, Back,CD open/close, etc.) also go out at the same time and light up again when the screen comes back on (2-4 seconds).
Has anyone else have their backlit buttons also go out or have taken it back to the dealer to try to get this problem fixed?

Tags
blank, nav, screen, touch, turns, w or nav