Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on Forums > > Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on Touch Screen w/Nav turns off (blank) and on
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-10-2012, 09:36 AM
2013 Altima

Yes, the buttons also go dark for me.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM
2015 Rogue

There is a new tab out for a reprogram which should correct the screen issue.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
2013 Altima

Thanks for the info, that's certainly good to know.
Any idea of the timeframe? I went to my dealership today and they have zero information regarding a forthcoming update.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclaux View Post
Thanks for the info, that's certainly good to know.
Any idea of the timeframe? I went to my dealership today and they have zero information regarding a forthcoming update.
The bulletin was released last Friday. It should be available now.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 AM
2013 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
The bulletin was released last Friday. It should be available now.
Is there a ref # for this that I can give to my dealership? Or maybe a URL?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclaux View Post
Is there a ref # for this that I can give to my dealership? Or maybe a URL?
NTB12-097.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
2013 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
NTB12-097.
MPE235: Is there a way we can read this bulletin as altima owners, or is this something only the dealership would have access to? If so, can you share where we can find. thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM
2013 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermgr View Post
MPE235: Is there a way we can read this bulletin as altima owners, or is this something only the dealership would have access to? If so, can you share where we can find. thanks.
I'd like to know that too. I can find references to NTB12-099 and NTB12-096 all over the web, but not NTB12-097.

Is it enough to go to my dealership and tell them to "apply the fix" corresponding to the NTB12-097 bulletin?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermgr View Post
I will try to get a copy that I can post.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM
2013 Altima

Default Service Bulletin

In driving to the dealership this morning to check on NTB-12-097, I stopped counting LCD screen blanking at 30 with about 2 miles of the 3 mile drive left. This was the worst ever. Totally useless for visual information.

However, the service manager did witness my navigation screen blank out 5-10 times in about 5 minutes with the car parked and running. Sometimes 2-3 in rapid succession in about 10 seconds. I mentioned that this problem could be related to temperature as it was below freezing again last night and this was the first outing for the car today. It was barely warmed up, but the blanking got worse the further I drove. Later in the afternoon, when I went out again, the blanking was very, very sporadic. Glad the SM saw it in the morning when it was really acting up.

I was also told that NTB-12-097 is for screen blanking problems in cars WITHOUT navigation. Perhaps there is a connection to navigation and or cold as well.

They have scheduled at "full diagnosis" on my car for the morning of Dec 19th. I'll make sure it's good and cold when I leave it there, just in case. Maybe even drop it off the night before.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
2013 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcotton View Post
In driving to the dealership this morning to check on NTB-12-097, I stopped counting LCD screen blanking at 30 with about 2 miles of the 3 mile drive left. This was the worst ever. Totally useless for visual information.

However, the service manager did witness my navigation screen blank out 5-10 times in about 5 minutes with the car parked and running. Sometimes 2-3 in rapid succession in about 10 seconds. I mentioned that this problem could be related to temperature as it was below freezing again last night and this was the first outing for the car today. It was barely warmed up, but the blanking got worse the further I drove. Later in the afternoon, when I went out again, the blanking was very, very sporadic. Glad the SM saw it in the morning when it was really acting up.

I was also told that NTB-12-097 is for screen blanking problems in cars WITHOUT navigation. Perhaps there is a connection to navigation and or cold as well.

They have scheduled at "full diagnosis" on my car for the morning of Dec 19th. I'll make sure it's good and cold when I leave it there, just in case. Maybe even drop it off the night before.

gcotton: It would seem that if there is now a fix for the screen blanking without navigation that whatever the fix is, it would also apply to us with the navigation system. I live in a very mild climate and my recurrent screen blanking has nothing to do with the temperature. It can be 40 or 70, it doesn't matter. Please post the outcome of taking you car in on Dec. 19 to have it addressed. thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM
2013 Altima

I took my car to the dealership, explained the issue and told them about NTB12-097. They confirmed it only applies to models without the navigation system.

They decided to replace the unit, even though they haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Hopefully that will actually work. I'll post an update when they have it installed in a week or so.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
2013 Altima

dclaux, sounds like there is not a fix yet other than replacing the unit. I will be very interested in hearing back from you if the the replacement works properly for you . Taking it back to the dealer is my next step also. Did they tell you if they have to tear the whole dashboard apart to put a new one in? I worry about new rattles when things get torn apart.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 PM
2013 Altima

They didn't tell me how it's done. I too worry about that, but I've known these guys for almost 7 years and they have never disappointed me.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
2013 Altima

UPDATE:

Just got back from the service department. They tried several times to call Nissan after they watched the screen blank out 4-5 times in the shop. This was not covered in their shop manuals. After 3 or 4 tries, they got through. Nissan said just replace the A/V unit. So they ordered one, but with the holiday's I don't expect to see it for a couple of weeks or even longer. This A/V unit is actually part of the LCD screen. Replacing will be like swapping out a factory radio with an aftermarket one. Still 1.5 to 2 hours shop time.

No quick fixes and no guarantee that the swap out will solve the problem either. BTW, it blanked out just 10 times from home to shop today.

In my previous car, the A/V "guts" were in a black box somewhere else in the dash, connected by a big cable. The XM unit was mounted on the sidewall behind the window dressings in the trunk connected to the A/V unit by a data cable. BTW, the 12v battery was also in the trunk, cooler and much easier to access. The car was a hybrid so the 275v battery was behind the rear seat and took LOTS of trunk space.

Now, to take pictures of all my navigation saved points and transfer them to the new A/V unit.

Last edited by gcotton; 12-19-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Tags
blank, nav, screen, touch, turns, w or nav