Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
why my 2008 Altima won't start with new battery? Forums > > why my 2008 Altima won't start with new battery? why my 2008 Altima won't start with new battery?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 AM
2008 Altima

Question why my 2008 Altima won't start with new battery?

One day I drove my 2008 Altima 2.5 S for about 5 miles to a concert. After I came out from the 2-hour concert, the car is like dead. The smart key could not open the door or the drunk. After I opened the door with the key, inserted the key the car still did not have any sign of electricity. I had to jump start it. I thought the battery was gone so I bought a new battery and replace the old one. It was good for a week. Then yesterday I drove about 3 miles for a soccer game and then came back, and parked it on the drive way. The next morning when I was on my way out, the same thing happened again: the car did not have any response to the remote key. I could not even lock the door from inside of the car by pushing the bottom. it is like dead again. It's a 5 year old car with less than 40,000 miles. what possible reasons for this? the alternator is dead? My Camry has more then 130,000 miles and the alternator is still good. I would appreciate it greatly if any of you can give me some clue, or if you had the same experience and how it was fixed. Many thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

Have you tried testing the alternator? If not, why don't you try starting up the vehicle then disconnect the negative terminal from the battery to see if the car still runs only using the alternator.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 AM
2008 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanAltima01 View Post
Have you tried testing the alternator? If not, why don't you try starting up the vehicle then disconnect the negative terminal from the battery to see if the car still runs only using the alternator.
thanks for your reply. So if it is still running without the negative it indicates the alternator is still good? thanks again.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

You can damage your car computer by disconnecting your battery when the car is running-was o.k with the old car BUT NOT WITH THE NEW ONE!
Your can test your alternator with a volmeter very easy test!
How to test your vehicles alternator using a multimeter. - YouTube
Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM
2008 Altima

thank your very much for your information. I will take the car to Autozone for a test.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 AM
2008 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWU View Post
thank your very much for your information. I will take the car to Autozone for a test.
If you found out what the problem was, could you please tell me? My car is doing and has done the same thing. Just changed the battery a couple weeks ago...and got new starter keys

Tags
2008, alternator, altima, battery, start