Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Idle relearn w/out consult possible for 1997? Forums > > Idle relearn w/out consult possible for 1997? Idle relearn w/out consult possible for 1997?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima

Question Idle relearn w/out consult possible for 1997?

Is it possible to do this without the consult for this year? I Can find it for other years or models but not specific to my 1997 Altima.
If I can use a different year or model which one and where can I locate this info? Thanks for your help
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I can't remember if the Engine Control Module (ECM) had that option available for the 1997 Altima, but nothing will happen if you perform the procedure.

You can find the instructions to perform the mixture ratio self-learning control procedure here: 1998-2012 Nissan Altima Clear Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control Data | Nissanhelp.com
Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima

That does not look like it would be much help. Here's my problem. At an idle in gear after car is warmed up the idle will drop to about 500 rpm and then slowly recover to about 800 and sometimes fluctuate between ther two. In nuetral the car idles so smooth you dont know its running. Gas mileage fine after CTS was changed and no check engine light on. Car never stalls and runs fine other then this issue. I have taken the car to two different shops both of whom checked (they said) the intake manifold gaskets and no problem found. The IAC was cleaned and the CTS coolant temperature sensor changed. The car did show a big improvement after the IAC was cleaned but still has this fluctuating idle issue thats it. Any info you can share will be helpful I'm sure
Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Have you checked the ignition timing?

I suggest following the procedure in the "Engine Control" (EC) section for timing and idle adjustment (Page EC-27).

If the problem persist you could try performing an engine flush. The type of flush that cleans all the carbon on the valves, cylinders and injectors. Sometimes carbon wont let the valves close all the way and causing an small engine idle fluctuation. After the flush, check the the idle adjustment again.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

One more question, what type of gas your are using?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima

The higher octane. Never the lowest most of the time the middle octane which is 87 I think. Sometimes the highest depending on the price. Which is correct? Did notice an improvement when I stopped using the lowest octane grade- Less pinging but still does it more then I think is normal.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Try using high octane gas for a couple of tanks to clean the carbon inside and you should do the injector flush as well, as I recommend above.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Have you checked the ignition timing?

I suggest following the procedure in the "Engine Control" (EC) section for timing and idle adjustment (Page EC-27).

If the problem persist you could try performing an engine flush. The type of flush that cleans all the carbon on the valves, cylinders and injectors. Sometimes carbon wont let the valves close all the way and causing an small engine idle fluctuation. After the flush, check the the idle adjustment again.
That looks complicated? A timing light and what else is needed to do this and what steps if any can be skipped?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima

Would the carbon issue cause sporadic idle problems that are worse the longer the vehicle is being driven? Idles worse after an hour of driving then say after 15 minutes. I thought timing was not adjustable on this car? Is there a test ( multimeter) that I can perform on the distributor and cam position sensor myself because the manual only shows it done with consult
Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg View Post
At an idle in gear after car is warmed up the idle will drop to about 500 rpm and then slowly recover to about 800 and sometimes fluctuate between ther two.
Thanks.
Looking at the Engine Control manual under the hood System Diagram EC-8-9, I see IACV- Air Regulator in addition to iac valve you said had been cleaned. May be its worth taking a look and have that tested. Refer to manual EC-251. hope this helps.

Tags
1997, consult, idle, relearn, w or out