Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
03 2.5 Altima misfire, oil in spark plug tube. Forums > > 03 2.5 Altima misfire, oil in spark plug tube. 03 2.5 Altima misfire, oil in spark plug tube.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-07-2018, 11:24 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

One year ago March 2017, the CEL light came on and engine misfire. I scan ECM and dtcs P0300, P0301, P0302. I thought ignition coils failed as three are still OEM. When I pulled all coils out they were wet and spark plug wells full of engine oil. When oil reaches the ignition coil boot, the coil spring that carry the spark to energize the spark plug no longer able to do its job and you have a misfire. So I ordered Online four after market ignition coils with lifetime warranty and valve cover. I keep the old coils as spare.

My Experiment: The tedious job was removing the oil from plug wells. Do not remove the spark plugs to clean until the oil has been removed. I then applied Permatex Ultra Grey Silicone sealant over the grommet and around the plug wells liberally as I cannot tell where the rubber breaks. I waited overnight for sealant to cure but I think you can do it at least two hours. Next morning with the codes already been erased, car started on first crank as always. I took it for a drive for almost an hour and upon getting back check ignitions coils they were all dry, CEL did not return and no misfire. Its been one year and still good. I did not install the new valve cover because I want to know how far it can last. So there you have it it works.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:05 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

I used an air blowgun with a nylon tube on it that I stuck down in the plug well. Then I loosly wrapped a rag around the nylon tube where it entered the plug well. Quick bursts of air and all the oil was blown up into the rag. (Or rags !) I could then remove the plug without having a dose of oil going into the cylinder.

Tags
altima, misfire, oil, plug, spark, tube