Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 altima 2.5s idle rpm became up and down after clean throttle valveplease help Forums > > 2003 altima 2.5s idle rpm became up and down after clean throttle valveplease help 2003 altima 2.5s idle rpm became up and down after clean throttle valveplease help
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 AM
2003 Altima

Default 2003 altima 2.5s idle rpm became up and down after clean throttle valveplease help

please help
my 2003 NISSAN altima 2.5s idle became up and down (warm engine from 800 to 1600 cold engine over 2000),I tried several times the posted re-learn procedure
,perfectly followed all steps and requirements,but It didn't work,ECM didn't relearn at last step.
Can anyone give me any idea?
thanks a lot.

here is the procedure I followed:
ENGINE COLD
Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
WAIT over 10 seconds before this next step.
Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
Turn ignition switch “ON”. WAIT EXACTLY ONE SECOND SHARP. Turn ignition switch “OFF”
THEN wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound. - Very hard to hear anything at all. Just believe this is happening by faith.
Now, here's the big change
Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
AND RIDE YOUR CAR FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES, this will make for correct operating temperatures to happen within the engine for the following steps. Warming your car in the garage in the morning aparently does not cut it.

Check that all items listed under the topic “PREPARATION” (previously mentioned) are in good order.
Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
Fully depress the accelerator pedal. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
Wait 7 seconds
Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turns ON.
Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off. Start engine and let it idle. THE ENGINE MUST BE STARTED WITHIN THE 3 SECONDS AFTER IT STOPS BLINKING, THATS HOW THIS LIGHT GOES OFF. THE SERVICE MANUAL DOES NOT STATE THIS, BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE DIAGRAM WHERE THE ENGINE LINE ON-OFF IS, IT CLEARLY SHOWS YOU SHOULD TURN IT ON WITHIN THESE THREE SECONDS.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:45 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

you must have a clock with seconds hand. you can use your cell phone stop watch. the APP learning, the Throttle Close Position learning, and IAV learning are a seamless procedures. you cannot stop after each and do the other 5 minutes later.
1. bring car to normal operating temperature or drive for 10m.
2. turn switch on for 3 seconds and turn off for 10 seconds 3x in a row. (on3, off 10, on3, off10, on3, off10) this procedures will take care the APP and THROTTLE close position learning;
3. turn switch on and wait 3 seconds, then press and release the acc pedal 5x within 5 seconds, then wait 7 seconds, (your key remains in ON position at this point)
4. press pedal and hold it there for 20 seconds (usually the "ses' lite will start blinking by 10 seconds mark. if ses lite don't blink by 15 seconds count, forget it, start over).
5. after "ses" stop blinking, release pedal and start engine. this must be done within 3 seconds. you need accurate count, patience, and focus. don't do this if you have a hangover, lol.
6. follow last precedure re: revving up engine. have fun.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM
2003 Altima

Default thanks

thanks a lot
I will try it.Today this drove me almost crazy .I am ready to give up.I even show my car to a technician in the afternoon.He told me Many parts need to be replaced.cost $1000 about
Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 AM
2003 Altima

Unhappy still not work

HELLO moderator
I am sure I perfectly followed your procedure.I got blinking lite.I started engine within 3 sec after blinking became solid.But idle still was up and down.
I LOST my courage totally.
I have already tried several versions of procedures.
There are too many versions about "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning"
please give me some further idea.
thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. unplug the electric throttle motor harness and reconnect to be sure its tight.
2. re-do the procedures again.
3. scan ECM for trouble codes.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM
2003 Altima

Default thanks again

First I appreciate for your help.
Tomorrow I will try it according to your information.
yesterday I checked code p0507 IDLE air control problem.But I don"t have Consult II to do relearn it.I only reset it by manual.It is so hard to follow each step.so far these numbers have been burnt deeply into my brain.I don"t need any clock to count exect seconds.I always get blinking lite.but last step when I start engine,nothing happen.Idle still dance up and down like laughing at me.

succeed whether or not,I will post result of relearn

thanks again
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 PM
2003 Altima

Unhappy try again

Tonight I will disconnect battery both negtive and positive,clean all error code in ECM,unplug the throttle valve motor harness.I will put everything back until tomorrow morning.And then do everything again.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima

I had the same issue on my 03 Altima. It was angering me.....lol.....I took mine to Nissan and they told me that I needed a new throttle body.....Thank god I did not listen!!

1. I purchased a low end OBD II code reader from an auto part store.
2. I unplugged both the throttle body and mass air flow sensor and started the car for a few seconds.
3. I shut the engine off, used the code reader to clear the codes, reconnected the throttle body and mass air flow and started the engine.

I have had no issue since and that was a month ago. I did not even have to mess with the accelerator learning crap......
Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 PM
2003 Altima

Unhappy I give up

After tried thousand times relearn prosedure,I give up.FAIL FAIL FAIL
Old 08-11-2012, 05:19 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

you have other issues. we have no history of what you did to trigger P1507. if you did the work, verify your work. refer to engine control manual page EC-373. it gives you possible causes.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:48 PM
2004 Altima Sedan

I have a 2004 Nissan Altima I had the SAME EXACT ISSUES I did the relearn process after cleaning the TB bore. I solution THAT WORKED was going to pepboys they will do the computer relearn I was charged $50 I'm sure it varies in different areas. I have no more issues. Hope this helps you

Tags
2003, 25s, altima, clean, idle, rpm, throttle, valveplease