Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1994 altima - sounds "fuel starved" after jump and wont stay running Forums > > 1994 altima - sounds "fuel starved" after jump and wont stay running 1994 altima - sounds "fuel starved" after jump and wont stay running
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 AM
1994 Altima

Unhappy 1994 altima - sounds "fuel starved" after jump and wont stay running

Let me start by saying I am Mrs. not Mr.
A month ago I put a new battery in
2 weeks ago: New battery cable clamps, finally got enough 'juice' to pull the starter. click click click click. So I changed the starter and the solenoid while there. Car started with a jump. Took the jumper cables off and the car stalled. Would not start with out a jump. So.... changed the alternator. Jumped it - Viola! My car is back. 2 days ago I get ready to leave for work and not enough electric to start. Jump. All is well. Last night at 8 - She goes a block and starts sputtering like she is out of gas so I nurse her through one stop light and a mile to the convenience store, put a 1/4 of a tank in and she just weekly grunts and groans but wont start. Get a Jump. Tried to pull away and she died and I coasted a few feet into a parking spot.

Started looking for information on where the fuel pump is but after midnight my eyes and enthusiasm were shot. So I would like to know where that is before I go crawling around under my car in my gravel drive again. And I so need someone to help me diagnose in the event that it is not a fuel pump - When it does jump and starts to idle, she sounds "fuel starved".
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM
1994 Altima

57 looks and no response. Sigh...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
1994 Altima

Well. It took a jump and started just fine and is home. Now if it will continue to do that!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

If you haven't replace them yet, do these first:
1. Replace fuel pressure regulator located in the fuel rail. Actually you should do a fuel pressure test first, but up to you.
2. Fuel filter located in firewall next to master brake cyl.
The fuel pump is installed inside the fuel tank.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 AM
1994 Altima

Thank you Benny53! I was feeling terribly neglected... Fuel filter I can def do! INSIDE THE TANK... That is going to a mechanic! Fuel pressure test.... I might get the little garage down the street to do that, they know they are apt to see me coming in the door with "can some one loosen this bolt for me" or some such so I cana go back home and try to figure it out my self. Blessings of the day!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima

Thumbs up

Double check the charging system. If it dies but takes a jump start sounds like a dead battery more then a fuel pump. When the battery is drained the car will limp along ( won't accelerate, dash gauges go dead, runs very rough) until the battery is completely dead then die. Will take a jump but soon as your remove cables(source of power) car dies cause the battery is completely dead. A bad alternator can take out a good battery be sure to check both.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM
1994 Altima

Hey Mrs.
In case you haven't fixed the fuel pump, you can remove the back seat to get to the fuel pump. You'll also have to remove the divider between the trunk and the back seat ( not sure what it's called). Underneath that divider is the fuel pump. You'll have to remove the cover. It has 4 bolts, on mine they were 13mm. Once you take that cover off clean everything underneath it. Now there will be a circular cover which should lift your fuel pump up when you take it off. It simply twist off. Note:Before you remove this cover be sure to drain the fuel that's in the line. I did this by unplugging the fuel pump fuse by the battery under the hood.

Now that you're at the fuel pump, disconnect all the connections to it and pull it out. Now you can put your new one in. and reverse the process.

However, an easy way to check if your fuel pump is working properly is to get a clean 2 liter bottle and disconnect the hose after the fuel filter. Then have someone turn the car to the 'on' position and in 3 seconds you should have about a cup of fuel.

Tags
1994, altima, fuel pump, fuel starved, jump, running, sounds, stay