Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
p1273 Forums > > p1273 p1273
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
2005 Altima

Unhappy p1273

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 sl and I have a service engine light on. The code is p1273. The Auto Zone receipt says app sensor 1-3
the ecm compared the the signal from both sensors and detected a voltage difference
probable cause:
Failed app sensor
poor connection
Open or short circuit condition

Is there anyone who has experienced the same issue?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

There is a conflict on the DTC P1273 definition given by auto zone vs. the OBDII definition and the one found on service manual. The OBDII and Manual are in agreement so auto zone is incorrect. Check this out.

OBDII Code P1273 NISSAN - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Lean Shift Monitoring Bank 1 | Engine-Codes.com
Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM
2005 Altima

Unhappy

After looking at the website I still dont know what I am to do to fix my car. What sensor am I replacing?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

P1273 NISSAN - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Lean Shift Monitoring Bank 1

Read more: OBDII Code P1273 NISSAN - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Lean Shift Monitoring Bank 1 | Engine-Codes.com

You probably have to replaced the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Bank 1. Here is a diagram with the location of the sensor on your 05 Altima: 2004-2006 Nissan Altima with 2.5 Engine Air/Fuel Ratio and O2 Sensor Location | Nissanhelp.com
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM
2006 Altima
2005 Altima

HI,

I have the same problem with my 2005 Altima..

I found that following could be the issues with P1273..

-Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 Bank 1
- Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 heater Bank 1
- Fuel pressure
- Fuel injector
- Intake air leaks
- Air Flow Meter (aka MAF sensor)
- Bad Catalytic converter..

I went to the dealership for an diagnostic.. the report came back with "replace blank 1 and Blank 2 O2 sensor".. which I did and the code came up again.. in couple of hours.. So, went back to the dealership and they said it could be the MAF sensor.. I did not want to spend another $300 bucks to replace the MAF so.. I have another Altima 06 .. with which I exchanged the MAF.... and guess what ..the code is back again after a couple of hours.. and my 06 Altima did not show any codes..

Then.. I found online that you need to erase the code and erase all ECU learning ... which I did (followed all procedure).. and the code was back again.. the next day..

I did more research online.. and I also found that the Altima is notorious for throwing P1273 code especially the 04 and 05 Altima's.. the dealer told me that because I used after market O2 sensor (AF sensors) that's why it could be still throwing codes.. he said I should have used OEM Nissan O2 (AF sensors)... I brought NGK O2 sensors from partsource.. I dont think the O2 sensors are causing the problem in my car...

What I noticed with my 05 that during cold starts.. my car does not crank up in the first go.. unlike my 06 ...also as soon as the 05 starts.. I can smell the fuel in the air.. so, I suspect I need to get the Fuel injectors cleaned and check if they are running properly also my fuel pump pressure ... and the last thing then would be the Cata.. I found that if your cata is not working properly the rear blank O2 (AF sensor) can also throw codes....I have an appointment with the Nissan Service center on Tuesday... lets see what comes of it..

Last edited by Stealthm; 06-29-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthm View Post
I have an appointment with the Nissan Service center on Tuesday... lets see what comes of it..
Good luck.
Let us know what they come up with.........
Old 06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You shouldn't need to replace the rear O2 sensor with a P1273 code. The fuel pressure should be checked as well as a leakdown test when diagnosing an A/F sensor or O2 sensor code. Nissan released a TSB (#NTB04-126) back in 2004 regarding clearing the ECM self-learning; they should have been aware of it. Sounds like the tech working on it saw the code and "guessed" at what the "fix" was without following the diagnostic procedure to correctly isolate the problem.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

replace your O2 sensor 1 (precat) with NGK part #24320. i recommend you change both (postcat) NGK part # 24404. try rockauto.com. you can change it yourself, would take you less than 10 min. you need a 7/8" (22mm) O2 sensor socket and wrench.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
2005 Altima

So where do I go to find out how to erase the code and erase all ecu?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

You need to get a scan tool or go to an auto parts that offer it for free or trust your garage to do it !
YOU MUST FIX YOUR FIRST CODES FIRST!
TO CLEAR THE SELF-LEARNING DATA

Without CONSULT-II
1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Disconnect mass air flow sensor harness connector, and restart
and run engine for at least 5 seconds at idle speed.
4. Stop engine and reconnect mass air flow sensor harness connector.
5. Make sure DTC P0102 is displayed.
6. Erase the DTC memory.

7. Make sure DTC P0000 is displayed.
8. Run engine for at least 10 minutes at idle speed or drive for a short distance
Hope it will work for you!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:26 AM
2006 Altima
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHen View Post
Good luck.
Let us know what they come up with.........
Hello everyone.. So, went to Nissan.. they checked Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Injectors.. all working fine.. and then the tech noticed that my Coolant fluid had turned brown.. he then opened the sparkplugs and looked into the hole with a flashlight and found that one of the Pistons was shiny.. he came to a conclusion that my head gasket was blown and had radiator fluid leaking into it.. and the fluid was cleaning out the top surface of the piston hence it was cleaner and shinny than the others.. I believe what the tech said cos 4 weeks back I had flushed out the coolant.. and it had turned brown in 4 weeks.. Nissan is saying that oil is leaking into my coolant as well.. hence it turned brown.. and also the reason for problematic cold starts on my car..

So, all of you who have the same problem I suggest check your coolant if its has turned brown.. it seems like when the catalytic converter goes bad.. the mesh inside the cata starts breaking and gets pulled into the engine via the exhaust.. and these small mesh particles damage the engine and the gaskets..

I left my car at the dealership and I am not driving it with a blown gasket to cause more problems.. I am waiting for an estimate from Nissan to change the head gasket.. will keep you guys posted..

Last edited by Stealthm; 07-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
2006 Altima
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
You shouldn't need to replace the rear O2 sensor with a P1273 code. The fuel pressure should be checked as well as a leakdown test when diagnosing an A/F sensor or O2 sensor code. Nissan released a TSB (#NTB04-126) back in 2004 regarding clearing the ECM self-learning; they should have been aware of it. Sounds like the tech working on it saw the code and "guessed" at what the "fix" was without following the diagnostic procedure to correctly isolate the problem.
The reason I had to replace the rear sensor as well cos the wiring had gone bad.. and Nissan recommended to replace it even thought it was working..

They did clear the self learning as well..
Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

If I were you I would send oil sample for oil analysis for about $30. This would confirm without doubt coolant and oil contamination. In my case, my only issue was coolant loss. After topping 2x and no visible external leaks I knew for sure something was wrong. I sent for oil analysis and it confirm coolant/ oil contamination.

After I replaced the HG on my 02 Altima I read an article from Federal Mogul, makers of Fel-Pro head gaskets that head cylinders may require re-torquing. This was interesting because today's head gaskets are made of multi-layered steel vs. in the past were basically made of paper. I examined the old gasket and I didn't see any tear or break anywhere. I kept it may be someday I'll have it x-rayed. The re-retorquing made sense to me.

I woul like to ask our resident guru Nissan Tech what his thoughts and experience on cylinder leaks whether re-torquing is a valid alternative to outright HG replacement in the absence of severe symptoms like overheating.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

" head gaskets are made of multi-layered steel vs. in the past were basically made of paper" NOT Exactly!
The old gasket were made of copper(SS) and asbestos --- last forever.
The new are guaranteed for ONLY A YEAR and has Griffie -not as good for high temperature as the old one. (they actually expend and leak threw)
Agree send a sample of your oil!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM
2006 Altima
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritter View Post
You need to get a scan tool or go to an auto parts that offer it for free or trust your garage to do it !
YOU MUST FIX YOUR FIRST CODES FIRST!
TO CLEAR THE SELF-LEARNING DATA

Without CONSULT-II
1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Disconnect mass air flow sensor harness connector, and restart
and run engine for at least 5 seconds at idle speed.
4. Stop engine and reconnect mass air flow sensor harness connector.
5. Make sure DTC P0102 is displayed.
6. Erase the DTC memory.

7. Make sure DTC P0000 is displayed.
8. Run engine for at least 10 minutes at idle speed or drive for a short distance
Hope it will work for you!

FUrther to the above procedure, which is not complete ... below is the process to Erase the DTC memory (Step 6 in the above process)

6.1) Sit in the driver's seat.
6.2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
6.3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
6.4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.
6.5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

*****How to read the code:*****
Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.
Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.
6.6) Final step to erase the code..
You can clear the code (and the annoying SES light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

Tags
p1273