Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Nissan Altima SE V6 - ?ABS problem Forums > > 2005 Nissan Altima SE V6 - ?ABS problem 2005 Nissan Altima SE V6 - ?ABS problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-29-2012, 06:12 AM
2005 Altima

Default 2005 Nissan Altima SE V6 - ?ABS problem

For the past 6 months, I have had problems with the car seemingly "coughing" while driving on the highway. Felt like the car was downshifting and slowing down. At the same time, I would experience what felt like the ABS coming on while braking, even though the road wasn't wet or icy, and what sounded like a spring noise and at one point I heard loud thumping noises coming from the front of the car. This problem is not always present, however. No computer lights came on to indicate any problem. I took it to the Nissan dealer who ran a computer test which came out clean. They told me to come back when it happens again. Well, it has happened several times again. Took it to another mechanic who did not find anything wrong with the car either. Last night, on the highway, the car coughed badly and I couldn't accelerate (seems to happen on a small slope, going up, but not always). This time the car was making noises and the ABS, SLIP and VDC (not sure about the last one) came on. Switched the car off and back on and the lights and noises disappeared. I am taking it again to the Nissan dealership for diagnosis. Does it sound like the ABS sensors or the controller? Please help, I am afraid to drive this car that I actually love.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM
2012 Murano
2007 Titan King Cab

The fact that the ABS, SLIP, and VDC lights came on is a good indication that a fault was detected in the ABS system.

Having the vehicle checked for codes this will help us further diagnose the issue for you.

For what it's worth, I have seen rust collect at the wheel speed sensors and cause similar issues.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
2005 Altima

Thank you for your help. I just went to pick my car up from the Nissan dealership. As expected they could not duplicate the complaint after roadtesting it. they found a history code for RR WSS and found that the caps for RR hubs were old style. They cleaned the hubs and installed new rear updated plastic caps but found no faults. They say they are pretty sure that cleaning all the rust and dirt should take care of the problem, which is the advise that you have given me. I hope it works because the labour only cost me $329.85 and the replacement caps $21.00. That's a lot of money for cleaning, but if it works, then I'm happy.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM
2012 Murano
2007 Titan King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by scndj View Post
Thank you for your help. I just went to pick my car up from the Nissan dealership. As expected they could not duplicate the complaint after roadtesting it. they found a history code for RR WSS and found that the caps for RR hubs were old style. They cleaned the hubs and installed new rear updated plastic caps but found no faults. They say they are pretty sure that cleaning all the rust and dirt should take care of the problem, which is the advise that you have given me. I hope it works because the labour only cost me $329.85 and the replacement caps $21.00. That's a lot of money for cleaning, but if it works, then I'm happy.
If you need any more assistance later, you can always chime in here and we will do what we can to help you.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:58 AM
2006 Altima

Smile ABS Engages During Normal braking - ABS Light Not On

Reviving an old thread but I want to post my experience with this same issue as it may help others as these cars are getting older.
- Issue: ABS pulsation during normal braking and no CEL or ABS lights on the dash. At 1st I dismissed it as normal operation on a wet road, but it got progressively worse and during every stop. The ABS would activate at approx. 30 km/hr when coming to a stop and pump kept running when stationary and sometimes during acceleration back above 30 km/hr.
- Research: I read numerous posts here and on Maxima.org on the subject and decided to act quickly to prevent the ABS actuator from burning out. Read Nissan NTB07-016b to see how the dealers do it.
- Repair: I cleaned both rear wheel hub bearing covers by disassembling the brakes and then removing the hubs which gives access to the ABS sensor without removing the sensor and risk breaking the screw securing it.
- Conclusion: It was a thin film of grease/grime build up and road salt on the RH wheel bearing that caused my issue. Brakes are back to normal now and the repair gave me a chance to inspect clean rear brakes, grease the caliper pins and install my summer all season tires.

Tags
2005, abs, altima, nissan, problem