Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Update on my HG replacement DIY project. Forums > > Update on my HG replacement DIY project. Update on my HG replacement DIY project.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 AM
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

Default Update on my HG replacement DIY project.

Background Issue: In November 2011 I had to refill my coolant twice. This caused some concerns so I sent motor oil sample for analysis. The result showed coolant had mixed with engine oil.

Its been three weeks now since I finished the job and I can relax now since there's no sign of coolant loss. The project took about a month for various reasons: (1) after the engine tear down I was out for 12 days due to mean Flu, (2) I suspected the rear motor mount needs replacement so I had the part on hand. Then I found out it was the RH side that was shut so I have to order that part, (3) I also changed my mind and replaced the three timing guides. Every time I order parts it takes 5-7 days. Though the rear motor mount wasn't shut, I went ahead and replaced the old one since I had the part already. With the rear and right side motor mount replaced I don't have that thumping and bottoming feeling when I hit a bump on the road.

Since coolant will be drained I pre-planned to replace the water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hose, and ECT sensor. I also replaced the oil seal and O-rings on my powering steering pump. Now no mo' leak. The fun part was removing the rear mount mounting bolts. The upper and lower firewall side were not a problem. After loosening the nut on the bottom front and slide the bolt toward the driver side it won't clear the friggin bell housing. You got to be kijjing me, lol. I had to painstakingly hacksaw the M12 x 1.25 bolt and almost 4 inches long. The new bolt head is now on the passenger side so no more problem removing it.

The only deviation from the service manual: (1) I did not drop the entire sub frame to lower the upper oil pan. The oil pan was danggling while I was cleaning that took about 2-1/2 hrs. including the bolt holes have to be cleared of old silicones in a very confined space, (2) removal of the cylinder head bolts the manual do not mention of 1/4 turn at a time so I followed the Hayne's manual to be on the safe side, (3) I read an article from Federal Mogul, makers of Fel Pro gaskets that aluminum engines tend to warp when removed while still hot or warm. I made sure I had a complete engine cool down.

Next Project: Front struts replacement. I waited over a year for Amazon.com to ship this item (struts) to Hawaii. Last month I ordered the KYB excel-G struts for $61.24 each including shipping, OMG. Almost $120. locally. I decided to replace the strut mount and those should be coming in later this week.

Photos are uploaded under Bennyb53 Gallery.