Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Update on my HG replacement DIY project. Forums > > Update on my HG replacement DIY project. Update on my HG replacement DIY project.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 AM
bennyb53's Avatar
bennyb53 bennyb53 is offline
2002 Altima
2002 Altima
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,104
Default Update on my HG replacement DIY project.

Background Issue: In November 2011 I had to refill my coolant twice. This caused some concerns so I sent motor oil sample for analysis. The result showed coolant had mixed with engine oil.

Its been three weeks now since I finished the job and I can relax now since there's no sign of coolant loss. The project took about a month for various reasons: (1) after the engine tear down I was out for 12 days due to mean Flu, (2) I suspected the rear motor mount needs replacement so I had the part on hand. Then I found out it was the RH side that was shut so I have to order that part, (3) I also changed my mind and replaced the three timing guides. Every time I order parts it takes 5-7 days. Though the rear motor mount wasn't shut, I went ahead and replaced the old one since I had the part already. With the rear and right side motor mount replaced I don't have that thumping and bottoming feeling when I hit a bump on the road.

Since coolant will be drained I pre-planned to replace the water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hose, and ECT sensor. I also replaced the oil seal and O-rings on my powering steering pump. Now no mo' leak. The fun part was removing the rear mount mounting bolts. The upper and lower firewall side were not a problem. After loosening the nut on the bottom front and slide the bolt toward the driver side it won't clear the friggin bell housing. You got to be kijjing me, lol. I had to painstakingly hacksaw the M12 x 1.25 bolt and almost 4 inches long. The new bolt head is now on the passenger side so no more problem removing it.

The only deviation from the service manual: (1) I did not drop the entire sub frame to lower the upper oil pan. The oil pan was danggling while I was cleaning that took about 2-1/2 hrs. including the bolt holes have to be cleared of old silicones in a very confined space, (2) removal of the cylinder head bolts the manual do not mention of 1/4 turn at a time so I followed the Hayne's manual to be on the safe side, (3) I read an article from Federal Mogul, makers of Fel Pro gaskets that aluminum engines tend to warp when removed while still hot or warm. I made sure I had a complete engine cool down.

Next Project: Front struts replacement. I waited over a year for Amazon.com to ship this item (struts) to Hawaii. Last month I ordered the KYB excel-G struts for $61.24 each including shipping, OMG. Almost $120. locally. I decided to replace the strut mount and those should be coming in later this week.

Photos are uploaded under Bennyb53 Gallery.
Reply With Quote


diy, project, replacement, update

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.