Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
97 altima cooling fans wont turn off Forums > > 97 altima cooling fans wont turn off 97 altima cooling fans wont turn off
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM
1997 Altima
2009 Versa

Default 97 altima cooling fans wont turn off

I can't get my cooling fans to shut off! I currently have all 3 relays pulled and 2-30 amp fuses and 1-10 amp fuse all pulled out and both cooling fans still running. I had to disconnect the battery to keep them from killing my battery. Any suggestions? Oh and also disconnected the coolant temp sensor. I'm really confused! Please help!! Thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Can you safely disconnect the fan motor 1 & 2 harness connectors while cooling fans are running. If not, disconnect while battery cable is disconnected and see if fans still turned on. Inspect the connectors.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 PM
1997 Altima
2009 Versa

Thanks for the reply. I did disconnect and inspect those connections which did shut down the appropriate fans and the connectors are in good shape. I actually took my car out last night and after arriving at my destination, waited to see if fans would shut down on their own, which they didn't so I pulled the 75 amp battery fuse so I wouldn't have a dead battery upon returning. Returned home and was expecting to have to pull that fuse again but amazingly fans turned off about a minute after turning the car off which is normal! I think I have an intermittant electrical problem. The first day it started acting up, I had driven to work on slushy salty roads so I'm guessing that played in but still baffled by how those fans could stay running with all relays and fuses pulled. Actually just started my car on a new day, still warming up and fans haven't come on yet which I think is good. Turned my a/c on and fans came on which is good and shut off after turning a/c off...still good! Went for a quick drive so fans would come on and returned home, turned car off and fans shut off after 30 seconds which again is normal. I know this isn't fixed but when I couldn't get them to turn off, I was trying to wiggle wires all over the place to no avail. When they did just recently shut off, out of the 3 relays, I heard Rad Fan 1 relay on drivers side click off so I'm wondering if I should focus around that relay box?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
1997 Altima
2009 Versa

So I haven't had those fans act up again until last night when I was washing my car at work. I was spraying down the front by the grill and the fans came on! Aha! Turns out there is a hefty wire loom tucked under the radiator support above the radiator with maybe 20ish wires. 4 of them were toast and pretty much melted together. Actually when I was pulling the loom out to have a look, my horn started going off too. It appeared that some of the wires were rubbing on metal even though there was the plastic protection around them. I wouldn't be suprised if others had this problem but with maybe some different accessories. Anyway, just wanted to share that!! Bring on the rain or anything wet! My baby can handle it now! Haha.

Tags
altima, cooling, electrical, fans, relays, turn