Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Altima 4cyl @ 100,000 miles - Service & Good Ideas for Preventative Maintenance? Forums > > 2004 Altima 4cyl @ 100,000 miles - Service & Good Ideas for Preventative Maintenance? 2004 Altima 4cyl @ 100,000 miles - Service & Good Ideas for Preventative Maintenance?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 PM
2004 Altima

Question 2004 Altima 4cyl @ 100,000 miles - Service & Good Ideas for Preventative Maintenance?

Hello all,

New member here (please don't hold back on the welcomes).

I just wanted to ask a few questions:

My mother has 2004 Nissan Altima 4 cylinder that is about to hit 100,000 miles (it's at like 97k or something close to that).

I am wondering what suggested maintenance I should do, as well as what routine and preventative maintenance would be a good idea at this mileage.

Overall I have to say the car has been decent and problem free, and I'd like to keep it that way. It seems to run quite well. (knock on wood) The previous owners were an elderly couple who only drove it in the warmer months since they spent winters in Florida, and my mother has been the primary driver since I picked it up for her at about 34,000 miles -- so it hasn't really been driven very aggressively (except when I borrow it)

I would prefer to do the minor work myself, and give the car a much-needed cleaning and detailing inside, under the hood, etc. while I'm at it. Yes, I'm one of those OCD-types who coats every bolt with anti-seize or grease and likes to clean everything before re-installing it again. I could never be a paid mechanic because I'm so detail oriented and take my time. I'd also like to do a good & thorough complete inspection on it to check for any worn parts & bushings, etc.

So far my plan is:

- New Windshield Wipers
- Oil + Filter Change
- New Air Filter / Cabin Air Filter
- New Bosch Platinum spark plugs
- Coolant Flush (I bought Prestone yellow jug, but I might return it and just get the OEM Nissan stuff from the dealer after reading some things on this forum)

I was also thinking of doing the thermostat while I'm at it, since I'll be draining the coolant anyway. From my previous experiences with other cars, they like to go bad at over 100,000 miles. Possibly new belts & hoses, depending on how they look.

The car needs new tires, so I was also planning on doing the outer tie rod ends as well to get a good alignment (there seems to be a bit of play in the steering as well). The car might need new struts at some point also.

I replaced the brake pads a few months ago, so I will probably just have to give them an inspection.

The car has primarily been serviced at the local Nissan stealer...err... dealer for minor repairs and regular oil changes. I want to save a bit of money for my mom and do most of the easy work myself. I will perhaps have the dealer do the transmission flush that I believe is required at this mileage.

I just want to make sure the car is kept running well, save money by doing some of the work myself; and mainly, I want to ensure the car doesn't have any unexpected problems over the next few months, as I plan on leaving the country for a little while and don't want my mother to get stranded somewhere or gouged at the dealer while I'm away.

So, what's the expert opinion? What am I overlooking? Is doing some of these things overkill?

Are there any sensors or electronics that I should worry about in the near future?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this car has a timing chain -- does this need to be replaced at regular intervals like a timing belt?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Last edited by Rapide; 02-02-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima
2005 Armada
2005 Armada Le

You might also consider looking at and replacing the air filter if needed. I'd replace the PCV valve. Also, you might drain and refill the transmission.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 AM

1987 Truck
2001 Maxima GTE

Sounds like you have it well covered. You may want to change out your tranny fluid if it's an automatic. See what your maint. manuel sez on this. Also keep an eye on your brake fluid level and OF COURSE, do that oil squirt can number on door hinges, and such.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

Congrats on taking this on and saving some money!

My approach has always been, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

My daughter's 2002 never had the thermostat replaced up until the day she totaled it with 200,000 miles on it.

Things we did do to it over time:
Replaced pre-cat when it was necessary (not really preventative).
Replaced O2 sensors (2)
Replaced Plugs at 100k.
Replaced coilpacks as needed (codes were thrown)
Replaced alternator when belt slap was noticed (replaced belt too).
Replaced brake pads and rotors as required.
Replaced front wheel bearing and tie rod (she ran into a median). Otherwise, suspension components were in good shape.
Replaced the radiator when it began to leak at the top where plastic meets metal. Used Prestone or Autozone coolant but used extended life (supposed to be better for cars with mileage and for the water pump).

Needed to replace struts (all of them).

Timing chain should last the life of the engine/car.

We did not go overboard with trying to anticipate fixing things before they needed fixing. Nissan makes great cars, we just hit 300,000 on our 95 Maxima. Our experience has been that when you fix one thing, something else will show up; fixing something that doesn't need it is sure to result in something else popping up.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)

Tags
000, 100, 2004, 4cyl, altima, good, ideas, maintenance, miles, nissan altima, preventative, service