Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2010 Altima 2.5S Cold Engine tick/rap under load Forums > > 2010 Altima 2.5S Cold Engine tick/rap under load 2010 Altima 2.5S Cold Engine tick/rap under load
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 PM
2010 Altima
2010 Altima

Default 2010 Altima 2.5S Cold Engine tick/rap under load

Since I bought this car new it has had what I would say is lifter tick when cold. I drove 2 cars befor I bought, both the same noise. Now after 45K miles, and cold temps, this baby rattles. The dealer replaced the head gasket due to seepage over the bell housing. They said it didn't tick then. A week later,after sitting outside in 15 degree temps, it was so loud I thought it was going to blow something! After it warms up its not bad but, still has a noticable beat and tick. I drove a '09 2.5S and it was soo quiet and smooth! Now I know somethings not right> Any advice befor I go back to the dealer? Is some of this common noise to the 2.5?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima

Our 4 cylinder engines have a rep for being noisy like this when cold. Once the warm up, the noise generally disappears. I had an 02 and now have an 09 and they both did the same thing. One thing I should mention is that in both cases, there is more engine noise to be heard even when warm, not valve noise, engine noise.

If, however, you still have the noise once the car is warmed up, you should take it to the dealer (as many times as necessary) to get the issue taken care of while under warranty. If you can, take it in while it is warm and have someone from the service department go for a ride with you so the sound can be heard while both of you are in the car.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:04 PM
2010 Altima
2010 Altima

Default Update on the engine noise

Brought the car to the dealer for a listen/look. They let it sit outside overnight, I know it was just below freezing. They suspect a possible rod or main bearing issue. Now as long as I have all my oil change receipts in order. Glad to have the 60k warranty. I'm still awestruck, I always change my oil, use semi-synthetic, never abused it, and it took 40k to show its ugly side! Find out more tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab
2011 Rogue

Hope all goes well.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM
2010 Altima
2010 Altima

Default The final update!

Its been a week since we picked up the car. Reman'd long block from Nissan. I was told zero mile engine ever. (??)The old had a bad rod bearing, and the cam was scored. Still don't quite understand what went wrong. As I think I said above, I change my oil on time, keep up on everything! So I'm a little miffed about this whole thing. I went into aircraft maintenance, did it for 17 years combined regional, and then until NWA let most of go in '03. Still do maintenance, but not automotive. Supposedly airplanes and packaging machines are cleaner. Yah right dad!! This is the first car I've had with a (engine)failure before at least 170K. So anyhow, Nissan stood by the warranty, I had every receipt for my oil changes. Cost me nothing at all. I have found an awesome dealer 30 some miles away. I can't complain! I hope and expect to see the 170k miles before anymore problems.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 AM
2010 Altima
2010 Altima

Default 12k on the new motor

We have 12k on the new motor. The wife is still happy with 28mpg on her 32 mile commute. We figure this it. The motor doesn't rattle like the original did from day one. I haven't used synthetic in it yet, maybe this winter. But it is going to sit out over night and get cold soaked this weekend. If it rattles, its gone. The fuel sending unit is flaky, power windows keep acting up, trans sticks in high range when you stop once in a while(the fluid is clear yet).........Im done!!

Tags
2010, 25s, altima, cold, engine, load, tick or rap