Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
02 Altima 2.5L missing bad, 165K miles Forums > > 02 Altima 2.5L missing bad, 165K miles 02 Altima 2.5L missing bad, 165K miles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

2002 Altima

Well push came to shove the other day ... as I was driving my Altima, I was stepping hard on it to pull out from a stop sign and the top O2 sensor blew clean out of the pre-cat/manifold - talk about sounding like a fire truck! I knew the threads weren't very good, since I loosened both of the O2 sensors up while I had the pre-cat out the other week - I'm surprised it waiting this long to try and leave the planet. Any way, I had already decided to get an aftermarket pre-cat (Walker) and two new O2 sensors (NGK), so I already had the parts. So I went ahead and swapped everything out (took me about 3 hours total), and so far, no more P0420 codes. Also, since I replaced the coil pack, I got rid of my miss too. Since then, I've noticed I've got a headlight out - it's been one thing after another for the past couple of weeks. My wife already informed me, not to think about buying another Altima .... I really love the car, but it's not aging as gracefully as I had hoped .... I've had better luck with Toyotas - I've had a couple that lasted 225 to 275K miles with no major issues. Oh well, guess I'll keep it a bit longer and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water yet. My daughter's 2002 just hit 210,000 and has it had problems? Yes, but it's got 210k on it! I have a 95 Maxima that has 297,000 on it. My other daughter has a 97 Maxima with 180k on it.

I will say that I like the 3.5 and 3.0 versions (6 cylinders) of the Nissan family and have encouraged my daughter with the Altima to look at that model if she chooses to go with another Altima or Nissan product. Even though she has had some issues with hers, she is happy with it and hopes to see it hit 300k. We religiously change the oil in it every 3000 miles which allows us to monitor what's going on with it.

What do you have to look forward to? Probably an alternator if you haven't replaced it already. Other than that, if you've taken care of the cat issue, you are most likely good to go. As for the mis-fires, if the coil pack doesn't completely correct it, there are post here concerning the ground wire and it's tendency to corrode over time which has been known to cause random misfires.

I will also say this, her Altima was having random mis-fires until I replaced the plugs AND the PCV valve. The plugs didn't totally correct it but the PCV valve seemed to. Just my experience.....
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

2002 Altima

Thanks for the info. It's good to know there are folks with LOTS of miles on their Nissans and are still going strong.

Don't the 3.0 and 3.5 have some timing chain issues of some sort?

When I was looking for the miss I did go around and clean up the couple of ground wires associated with the coils and the injectors. Also replaced the PCV too.

No, I haven't replaced the alternator yet - although I did put a battery in it a year ago, when it up and died with no warning. What about the starters - how long do they typically last?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I've got a 95 Max with 293,000 on it with the original starter; they seem to last forever.

Well, yesterday, I got a call from my daughter who drives the 2002 Altima. She had rear-ended someone and it appears her car is totaled; she did it good.

So, the odometer will stop at 210,000 miles; she cried as she walked away from it as she really loved her car. She is already shopping for a new one, looking at the 2012 models down to about the 2008. She puts 500 miles a week on a car just going to and from work so reliability and dependability are things she is looking for and is why she will ultimately by a Nissan product. I would love her to get a Maxima or a 3.5 but those get expensive quicker.

So now the fun (and the learning experience) begins all over again.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

2002 Altima

Bummer - it's always a hassle buying another car and getting it caught up on all the maintenance and service the previous owner seemed to forget. Good luck and let us know what she winds up getting.

Tags
165k, 25l, altima, bad, miles, missing