Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Nissan Altima Crankshaft Position Sensor - NOT like the instructions! Forums > > 2005 Nissan Altima Crankshaft Position Sensor - NOT like the instructions! 2005 Nissan Altima Crankshaft Position Sensor - NOT like the instructions!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
DJolly

Ugh, I think it's possible I might have broken the green clip. I was pressing straight down on it, like it was the clip holding the camshaft sensor in. A friend came by, and he suggested that I was actually supposed to press it in towards the engine block, and not down on it like I did. Now, I can't get the new one to snap securely in place like the old one did.

Any help here?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 PM
DJolly

I replaced the sensor. I still haven't got the green clip to lock into place. I'm pretty worried about that, but my car does run better than it did. I just know that I can pull the sensor off with just a little bit of pressure if I tried. Not sure what to do here. Do I need to replace the wiring harness, or am I doing something wrong?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
marv_altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJolly View Post
I replaced the sensor. I still haven't got the green clip to lock into place. I'm pretty worried about that, but my car does run better than it did. I just know that I can pull the sensor off with just a little bit of pressure if I tried. Not sure what to do here. Do I need to replace the wiring harness, or am I doing something wrong?
I just did mine today and the parrts guy at nissan told me to connect the harness before installing the sensor, worked like a charm.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM
DJolly

I know, that's what I tried to do, but I can't get the harness to "click" into place. It pulls off if I tug on it. If I have to, I'll replace the wire harness too (wow, won't that be fun for a novice like me). I'm driving it in the meantime - I'm pretty sure it will take more than a simple bump to knock it loose. At the very least, my check engine light finally went off. :-)

Last edited by DJolly; 08-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

LMAO, :)
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
2004 Altima

I just got a new connector from Nissan. They gave me one identical to the cam sensors. They were sure it was right. Works good and makes it much easier to remove/ connect. Sensor can be in already too. Cost 42 dollars.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:32 PM
DJolly

So, the connector is like the camshaft position sensor connector, and not like the old green crankshaft position sensor? Sounds like a good deal to me! How difficult was it to put on?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 PM
2004 Altima

to connect it... as easy as the camshaft clips on and the sensor stays in the engine. the wiring wasnt bad but label them because the new connectors' wires are all black. also, i disconnected the main wire harness from the brackets around it so i could pull the harness up a little more. just need to undo the clips w/ needle nose pliers. havent had any trouble with it yet.

What was the purpose of the green clipped one? anyone know?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Ok, I understand the replacement connector comes with 3 black wires instead of color coded like the OE wires. And you label them for power, ground, and signal wire, right?

Can you tell us how you install it? I mean did you splice it with the old wiring?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 PM
2004 Altima

i just spent a half hour writing it up, no pics, to the point of starting, hit tab to indent, then bksp.... backed out of the page, all is lost. im going to look at my catalytic, maybe gut it, ill get to writing it up again later tonight or tomorrow

....but, i used crimp connectors with heat-shrink ends, liquid tape (brush-on insulator) found at wal-mart in auto wiring area, then wire loomed and sealed with electric tape. wasn't hard, about 45 minutes. just the familiar frustration of working in that area, but the more you disconnect, the easier.

Used the blue crimp connectors ( 14-16 ga i think?) make sure you check every crimp for tightness. i had to redo 2 i think, stripped wires ~1/4 inch

also, putting a cover of some sort helped with not dropping things or placing them all over the engine
Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

"opivy6989" - thanks for the info. May be DJolly can replace his connector with ease.

The "green tab" on the wire connector is the release tab where you push or slide forward and connector comes off the sensor. Your new connector is like the camshaft sensor where you pinch it to disengage from the sensor. BTW - on the new redesign cam sensor you pinch on the top where previously it was located underneath. I guess Nissan engineers learned from their mistakes, cool.

I am curious why you needed to replace yours.

Last edited by bennyb53; 08-16-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 AM
2004 Altima

yea i just didnt see the need for 2 sensors that are the same, but two different connector types. Maybe they made it to differentiate the two.
ill try to get a pic of it, should be in my trunk somewhere. i couldnt get it to connect all the way, tried all kinds of ways including with the connector and sensor out of the car. the inner part of the green tab looked abused.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

It happened to me too when I replaced my crankshaft sensor. When I connect the new sensor it will not latched on, it comes off easily. Tried about three times when I noticed the green tab was protruding a bit from end of connector.

With my thumb, I pushed it back up to its original position. When I tried to connect the sensor again I heard a click and it was good.

That's why on my "thread" I added that part of pushing back up the green tab b4 connecting the new sensor and then install.

Again, with the new design metal crankshaft, the orientation is also different. The green tab is now facing the driver side wheel where b4 it was facing the passenger side wheel.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:37 AM
2004 Altima

kinda funny, just read in the fsm, one of the connector type sections says its for secure locking and to prevent accidental disconnection, used on sensors important to obd. All my other sensors/connectors connect securely, and dont come off overly easy.... except that ckp.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM
2007 Altima

Check out this video on Youtube to see how to find & replace Crankshaft Positioning Sensor:

Crankshaft Positioning Sensor Replacement - Error Code P0725 / P0335 - YouTube

Tags
2005, altima, crankshaft, instructions, nissan, position, sensor