Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
mystery solved? code 0650 Forums > > mystery solved? code 0650 mystery solved? code 0650
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
RIboater

Default mystery solved? code 0650

I've been chasing "fantom" codes for weeks now. 0400, 0325, 0141 seemed to actually be the egr solenoid module so I replaced it. But now I've had odd randome codes for two weeks. 0340, 0920, cleared those. Then 0550, cleared it, then 0650 with 0920 coming back. Now 0340 is back too.
I think 0650 is the clue to the mystery. This is Malfunction Indicator Lamp which a possible cause is a faulty ECM. Would explain all these random codes popping up.
I dont know if this is good news or bad news. If I have to replace the ECM, I'm sure it's very expensive but can I do it myself or must the dealer do it and "code" it to the car? This is typical of BMW that I'm used to working on.

Last edited by NissanTech; 06-12-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Removed link
Old 06-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Are there any other symptoms other and the engine light ON?

Without performing some test, it's a bit hard to say that the ECM it is actual problem.

Quote:
can I do it myself or must the dealer do it and "code" it to the car?
Yes you can do it, but you have to have the dealer reprogram the key for you.

You can drive to the dealer with the old ECM connected, once you are at the dealer, connect the new ECM and have them reprogram the keys.
Attached Thumbnails
mystery solved? code 0650-image01-gif  
Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 AM
RIboater

There was a rough fluctuating idle problem when the car was warm before I replaced the egr solenoid valve. Now the idle is fine but I just keep getting these random codes. Haven't had the original 0400 0325 0141 codes show up again. Any test you suggest I could do myself? Voltage at the battery is 12.5v off and 14.5 running.
Thanks for the pic. I've been reading and resetting codes from the set screw on the unit itself. Any tricks or difficulty in removing it should I need to?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 AM
RIboater

The games continue... the car seems to want to settle on the 0340 and the 0920 codes. I read that the 0340 can be triggered by oil in the distributor? I've never worked on a car that had the cps inside the distributor. I want to open it up and clean it out. Any chance that will work rather than replace the whole thing? I want to tackle this and then think about the 0920. State inspection in July.. time is running out :(

Tags
0650, code, mystery, solved