Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Loud Scary Clunking Noise While Turning Forums > > Loud Scary Clunking Noise While Turning Loud Scary Clunking Noise While Turning
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Amandaaka

Exclamation Loud Scary Clunking Noise While Turning

I drive a 2000 Nissan Altima. Today I went over a railroad track at highway speed (like I do everyday on my way to work) and I heard a big "bang" . My first thought was that the bulge I have in my tire (bad, I know!!) finally blew. I have had tires blow (on a previous mazda-three tires in the two years of owning it!!), and pulled off the road ASAP. When I pulled off, I could see anything seriously wrong... so I pulled back on the road and started driving again, slowly. I can now hear a clunking (loud and singular) when I turn corners. It started with just to the right, but by the time I could find a parking lot that was safe to leave my car in, I can hear it on the left (not as bad however.) It does it while parked as well. Upon inspection, I can tell that the tie-rod seems to be stable, and the tires don't have any give when you push on the top of them... I did notice a large tear in the CV boot on the LEFT side, but the sound seems to coming more from the passenger side of the car. Also, the tear is large, but I cannot see any dirt on the grease so I can't imagine it has been there long. It also was pulling to the right really badly (but I realized a tire in back has a slow leak that was down 7-8 pounds of pressure which may or may not have caused the pull..?) the pull seemed to be immediate though...?
As a poor college student, I'm terrified this is going to cost me a lot.. I changed the entire motor out about 6000 miles ago, and then shortly after that found it was leaking oil due to a tear in some seal, had to get that replaced (labor cost me a TON for an item that cost me under $20 (especially since they put the new oil in when I got the new motor which means I thought they should have caught this right away (since they had to have ripped it or just put in a ripped one!!!) and this car was a salvage title, that I have totalled.. and kept. (body repairs were done.) Which means insurance-wise it is worth exactly zero. Anybody have any ideas? I live in the middle of no-where, so I can't really switch mechanics, and I'm afraid of these guys may be taking me for a ride, if you know what I mean...
Thanks,
Amanda
Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Amandaaka

I'm thinking it might be the stabilizer bar link? is that a possibility?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Altima

If it does it when you are in park then no, I don't think so. It is most likely the bearing in the top of your strut assembly. When you're turning the wheel can you feel a little resistance and then POP it gets easier after the noise?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Amandaaka

got it fixed, it was the coil spring - snapped clean off apparently.

Tags
clunking, cv joints, loud, noise, right turn, scary, steering column, turning