Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
'04 3.5SE Ball Joints and Wheel Hub question. Forums > > '04 3.5SE Ball Joints and Wheel Hub question. '04 3.5SE Ball Joints and Wheel Hub question.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-27-2011, 01:57 AM
2004 Altima

Default '04 3.5SE Ball Joints and Wheel Hub question.

At 140,000Km , I need to replace the shocks, coils and front wheel bearings (it sounds like the front are going, at least).

The manual calls for a ball joint remover to separate the tie rod from the knuckle, then indicates pressing the wheel hub out from the knuckle. Seems pretty straightforward. However, it also calls for a Kent-Moore J25730-B "Ball Joint Removing Tool" to do the job.

First question: Having never done ball joints, is that tool pretty generic so far as ball joint removers go? It's only about 45$ so it's not a big deal, but still I'd like to know.

Next question: so far as the bearings go, are they integral to the wheel hub when you buy them, or are they separate? I'm hoping the hub and bearing come as a single unit!

I plan on replacing the transverse arms too, since I figure the ball joints will be pretty close to finished at 140k anyways. Am I correct in my assumption? She's driven on some pretty pot-holed roads in Alberta and Colorado most of her life.

Could anyone who's done this please share their experiences with me? What sorts of roadblocks did you encounter? Any heads up I should know about, or is it all pretty straightforward?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Ball Joints

I've done them on several brands of cars. The press makes it easy. I have an OTC press, but I believe the theory/principle behind all of them is the same.

Basically, you are using the force of the screw on the press to "push" the joint out of the arm.

You may want to consider a new control arm with the joint already installed. Some suppliers offer it that way for certain applications. I know on my mother's Saturn, that's how Moog services the ball joint.

It's not hard---take your time.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 PM
2004 Altima

OK so say I change the transverse arms and the tie rod ends to have four new ball joint, (which BTW is a great idea so thanks), I'll still have to get the car to the shop to do up an alignment. Am I running the risk of doing much damage over the 20km or so to the shop?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:51 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

It is my understanding that on 3rd gen Altima and on, when you replace the ball joints, you simply buy the lower control arm assymbly and you get the total package.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Ponchoguy, have you replaced a front struts? If so, if you don't have an impact wrench, what other tools you can use to compress the spring.

I am thinking if a regular drill will have enough torque or just a regular rachet. Your help is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:38 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Struts

I don't own this Nissan---someone else does, so I do work for her on it.

You can rent a spring compressor from Autozone or any of the parts stores with a tool loan program.

I do have a compressor and impact set up, so that's not an issue.

Tags
35se, ball, hub, joints, question, wheel