Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Wheel issue while replacing strut ( HELP PLEASE) Forums > > Wheel issue while replacing strut ( HELP PLEASE) Wheel issue while replacing strut ( HELP PLEASE)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

2003 Altima

Default Wheel issue while replacing strut ( HELP PLEASE)

Friends, please help.

This the situation i'm having... I've replaced struts a couple of times, and never had a problem, but yesterday while replacing a strut on my altima, after removing the strut to knuckle bolts, i think i might have let the wheel drop a lil too far down...

So after replacing the strut, once i raise the wheel, the holes do not match up..the best i can describe it , is that as i am raising the wheel, it does not swing upright, it remains slightly facing the ground. The axle moves up and down along with the wheel, but the wheel itself doesn't have that play to swing it and match the holes.

Can you guys give me a hint on what i should be looking for? is it something in the CV joint? Did i possibly over-extend something? The car is my garage, and i can't even take it anywhere, so i'm forced to figure this one out...

EDIT
----

After doing a little digging around on the web, i think i might have overextended the outer CV joint. Is there a way i can pop it back in place without having to take the boot apart?

Last edited by Redvip; 05-10-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM
2015 Rogue

You probably popped the inner joint out. You can usually get it back in by pushing against the brake rotor and rotating it back and forth. When it lines up it should slide back in.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Thanks for your post. I think I am due for struts and shock absorber on my 02 Altima with 92k miles. I went to Midas and got a quote of over $700 for all.

Did you rent the spring compressor? Did you use an impact wrench or just a rachet. Our local O'Reilly store rents the compressor. Well, you make a deposit for the cost of new and you get it back when you return the equipment. I wonder if a regular drill has enough torque. I also have a 7 Amp Hammer Drill.

I could buy the struts online for about $120 for two (Monroe or KYB GR-2). What brand of Struts are you using.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

2003 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
You probably popped the inner joint out. You can usually get it back in by pushing against the brake rotor and rotating it back and forth. When it lines up it should slide back in.

You are right, it was the inner CV joint. I was not able to pop it back in, so i just decided to buy a new CV Axle, i'm actually doing it now, just taking a break. When i took the old axle out a bunch trans fluid came out.

Wish me luck on putting everything back together.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:51 AM
2005 Altima Sedan
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb53 View Post
Thanks for your post. I think I am due for struts and shock absorber on my 02 Altima with 92k miles. I went to Midas and got a quote of over $700 for all.

Did you rent the spring compressor? Did you use an impact wrench or just a rachet. Our local O'Reilly store rents the compressor. Well, you make a deposit for the cost of new and you get it back when you return the equipment. I wonder if a regular drill has enough torque. I also have a 7 Amp Hammer Drill.

I could buy the struts online for about $120 for two (Monroe or KYB GR-2). What brand of Struts are you using.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Since this was 2011 post, you've probably long since taken care of the issue - but no more than it cost (look, I'm lazy and didn't want to mess with spring compressors, etc., when at 250,000 miles, figured the coil springs could use replacement also), I bought a set of combined coil spring/strut (everything new) from a company called " BuyAutoParts.com " for $109.00 for both front units, shipping included, for my wife's 2005 Altima 2.5l S. They are an off brand, Chinese I'm sure, but fit and work perfectly. Again, her vehicle has 250k on it, so wasn't interested in high dollar brand names. After a little searching, these were the best deal, very similar to a lot I found on eBay and Amazon. I didn't want to mess with removing/replacing coil springs. 2002-2006 Altimas (according to parts houses) all use the same struts, springs, etc.
Here's the best YouTube link I found on the how-to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoD1Ij6oLLI

This was also the perfect time to discover that the outer tie rod ends, stabilizer bar ends and brake pads all needed replacing, so NOW was the time to do it while the wheels were off and the air tools (you don't need them, but lay in a supply of PB Blaster or DeepCreep) were handy. And yes, what the heck, I also bought a new set of Monroe rear shocks - 250,000 miles, they needed replacement as well. Local auto stores were the best sources for these other items, and none of it was terribly expensive.
I'm a Ford truck guy - the Nissan parts surprised me as being reasonably priced if you shop around.

All this having been said, I'm on this thread because I had the same problem as REDVIP, but MPE235's answer was on the money.
Thought I'd really messed something up, but turned out to be a non-issue.
Thanks, MPE235, and GOOD LUCK everybody.

Tags
issue, replacing, strut, wheel