Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Altima - Belt slap/slip - dealer can't fix Forums > > 2002 Altima - Belt slap/slip - dealer can't fix 2002 Altima - Belt slap/slip - dealer can't fix
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-19-2009, 05:50 PM
frftr187

I read the article about the alternator online. I was about to change out my a/c compressor when I saw the article. I had my alternator checked and one side of the mount where the bolt goes through was broken. So I am not sure if this was my problem or the clutch issue that was mentioned but my problem went away when I replaced the alternator. The alternator that I used was just a reman from NAPA Auto Parts. I don't think I would pay 700$ for an OEM part. I'm sorry that this did not help you.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:30 AM
SDFF1

Default Altima PR, question about the motor mounts...

Hi Everyone, I'm also having this same exact problem and haven't started "investing" any money into it yet so I hope I can fix it the first shot.

Altima PR, question, is there a way to tell on the alternator pulley if that is indeed the problem or if it's something else. I have plenty of time to remove it and inspect it thoroughly, but I don't have the money to start replacing parts until its fixed. Also, I had my wife shift the car from neutral to "drive" and "reverse" while I watched the motor mounts as I suspected them to be bad also. I did observe the motor shifting back and forth about 3/4" each way, but the motor mounts looked to be well intact and the motor itself is not vibrating alot, just the belt and tensioner. What would you suggest is a normal amount of movement from the motor mounts? My first thought also was to replace the belt and tensioner. Any advice and help is very much appreciated!! Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

As can be read, allot of Altimas have gone bad with the motor mounts. I replaced all four about less than two years ago and today I am replacing the one closest to the alternator, it has my engine thumpimg again.

On the belt slapping, my experience after allot of research (and replacing) done with some Altima dealers, I was proven by a local mechanic, that the alternator pulley was seized. It has an internal disc or clutch(believe it or not) that when it goes wrong, the belt starts to slap, mostly when you're at a stop light, for example, and the trans is in "drive", with AC on it gets worse. If you shift to "neutral" it just goes away. DO NOT replace the tensioner.

-If you decide to replace the pulley, it can be purchased separately from aftermaket sources other than Nissan for le$$ as it would be an aftermarket unit, not Nissan, but hey, it has been working flawlessly for me. Local Nissan has it for $130 plus $45 for the extraction tool. Please note that you need this special tool to extract the pulley as the "nut" is internal. The alternator does not need to be replaced as it should be working properly, hence saving you some dollars.
-If you decide to purchase a rebuilt alternator, have in mind this pulley is over-looked(meaning they will re-use the pulley when the rebuild takes place) and you may end up buying an alternator that (with Murphy's law) in a few months shows this issue all over again.

Pulley available in Ebay for around $45 (new) and the extraction tool for about $25, give or take a few $. This has been my experience with this issue based on experience with my car and hope it works for you too.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

Do you have any WWW links to the Ebay pulley and extraction tool for viewing?

Is there documentation or WWW links that describes how to perform any of these procedures?

Replace engine mounts - especially the likely failing one
Replace pulley using the tool
Replace the tensioner
etc.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:49 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

Here's a link to one supplier. Although, it is more than what I stated, it should provide the item's usefull replacement info for you to track it down to other suppliers that may have it. Keep checking frequently and you should be able to find it for less. At the bottom, this supplier has the tool information as well.

ALTERNATOR CLUTCH PULLEY NISSAN X-TRAIL, ALTIMA, SENTRA:eBay Motors (item 140316293325 end time Jan-18-10 06:57:34 PST)

You might want to download the service manuals for a step by step enigne mount replacement process for your model/vehicle, however the engine mounts are fairly straight forward items to replace for the 2.5 Altima with a pair of jacks under the vehicle in the right place to assist, you should be able to reach and unbolt them. The most common mount to fail seems to be the one located at the driver's side, next to the alternator and is difficult to diagnose by just looking at the mount without taking it out to examine it as this mount has a rubber disc to it (on the 2.5 at least it does) that covers the side view. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

Thanks.

I don't have a belt slapping problem yet, but might someday.

I think I am an OEM get it from the dealer person when it comes to general purpose hoses, belts and some other things - no matter what the parts store says or what it looks like.

I have also used a Radio Shack strobe light on occasion to observe spinning belt driven things to spot wobbles or things that are not running true.

Last edited by joseibarra; 01-01-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:25 PM
saltybeagle

Default 2005 Altima belt slap solved!

Just followed the good advice here and resolved my belt slap/flap and vibration.

I first removed the belt and checked the alternator. The alternator did not spin freely in one direction. After unbolting it and comparing it against a rebuilt one from the parts store, the rebuilt DID spin freely in the other direction. Never heard of a clutch on an alternator before.

$171 and about 3 hours later everything was back to normal. No belt flap at ~900 RPM with the A/C on.

Still a slight clicking and squeak, so I might replace the tensioner as well, but the major issue has been solved. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

It is quite unbelievable it's the alternator pulley causing all the hype!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
YugoRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltimaPR View Post
It is quite unbelievable it's the alternator pulley causing all the hype!
Buddy, did you replaced the Alternator Pulley?

I have a new one, but need help replacing it! :(
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM
bahaas

I have this exact same problem. Engine shakes slightly while stopped and in gear. The belt makes a weird noise when the AC is turned at that point. The shaking and noise are not noticeable while driving. I've replaced the motor mounts with no improvement, and was going to replace the serpentine belt since it is quite old anyways (7 years, 100K). I'll check to see if the alternator pulley has seized in either direction, and replace it if so. Thanks for the great info!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 AM
ashtondavid007

Default more belt slapping

Bahaas-did you ever confirm this problem? My 2003 2.5 Altima is doing the same thing. I took it to the dealer, they swore up and down it was the A/C compressor, and before i paid them the $800 i asked them about this alternator pulley thing since I read this post prior to the repair, they swore it was the A/C compressor. They changed it, fixed it for a couple weeks (somehow-i have no idea why it fixed it temporarily), but now the belt's slapping again.

AltimaPR-if this is indeed my problem-thanks in advance. You said that i can JUST change out the alternator pulley and it should fix it? I dont have to replace the whole alternator? I'm sure Nissan will want to do the whole OEM alternator and I'm not feeling that right now since my funds hurt.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 AM
bahaas

I had the belt and tensioner pulley replaced. It seems to have helped.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtondavid007 View Post
Bahaas-did you ever confirm this problem? My 2003 2.5 Altima is doing the same thing. I took it to the dealer, they swore up and down it was the A/C compressor, and before i paid them the $800 i asked them about this alternator pulley thing since I read this post prior to the repair, they swore it was the A/C compressor. They changed it, fixed it for a couple weeks (somehow-i have no idea why it fixed it temporarily), but now the belt's slapping again.

AltimaPR-if this is indeed my problem-thanks in advance. You said that i can JUST change out the alternator pulley and it should fix it? I dont have to replace the whole alternator? I'm sure Nissan will want to do the whole OEM alternator and I'm not feeling that right now since my funds hurt.
You can replace the pully itself and not the whole alternator, it's a fact. If your Nissan dealers says it's not possible....run away from him and go someplace else.

Does this cure your problem(?)....It all depends....in MOST cases, it does fix the problem related to the famous belt slapping that happens in a stop light for example, when you have the AC on, have the transmission in "Drive" and the foot on the brake. That's when the belt slapping in my car happened. Changing the alternator pulley fixed the slapping issue for me and it was one nasty, embarrassing slapping belt noise.

I had replaced both front shocks, the belt tensioner and the belt itself. Nothing helped before.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
ashtondavid007

Ah. Thanks for all the replies. I've got the exact same symptoms as you mention, AltimaPR, the dealership has changed the A/C compressor, belt tensioner, and I've changed the serpentine belt a couple months before all of this. I'm dropping the car off again, they're gonna take another look. They are actually usually quite good, I'm very satisfied with their work, but I'll be wary of the pulley talk-I spoke with the service advisor and he said nobody's familiar with a clutch on the alternator pulley (sounds VERY familiar throughout this thread-haha), so we'll see what the verdict is after they look at it again. Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtondavid007 View Post
Ah. Thanks for all the replies. I've got the exact same symptoms as you mention, AltimaPR, the dealership has changed the A/C compressor, belt tensioner, and I've changed the serpentine belt a couple months before all of this. I'm dropping the car off again, they're gonna take another look. They are actually usually quite good, I'm very satisfied with their work, but I'll be wary of the pulley talk-I spoke with the service advisor and he said nobody's familiar with a clutch on the alternator pulley (sounds VERY familiar throughout this thread-haha), so we'll see what the verdict is after they look at it again. Thanks again.
Just a note:

This is an issue with the 2.5 (4 cyl) alternator model only, as far as I know the 3.0 model Altima's use a different model of alternator that does NOT use this clutch pulley. I had the ..."there is no such thing as a clutch pulley in that alternator Sir" line stated right in my face from one of the service advisor's at my local Nissan Dealer. This should be common knowledge by now at Nissan Shops. These cars have been out on the street for years....but I guess not.

Tags
2002, altima, belt, dealer, fix, slap or slip