Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
96 Mass Airflow Sensor malfunction/control Forums > > 96 Mass Airflow Sensor malfunction/control 96 Mass Airflow Sensor malfunction/control
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 PM
ctonline

Default 96 Mass Airflow Sensor malfunction/control

What type of symptoms would you get from a bad Mass airflow sensor? What is the price with labor to replace one? Thanks.

The mechanic diagnostic machine indicate that it is the Mass airflow sensor that in not working that is causing my engine light to come on. The car drives fine though except for the engine light being on. I've driven over 100 miles now with the engine light on. I've replace the ECM unit prior to the engine light coming on, the mechanic had told me that the ECM unit has nothing to do with the engine light being on and that it was the Mass Airflow Sensor. Doesn't the ECM unit control the Mass Airflow Sensor unit as well? What exactly does the Mass Airflow Sensor control? and if its bad, shouldn't the car be stalling or having other issues?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

I believe its the same mechanic who told to replace the ecm.

You haven't mention anything about the dtc codes. Ask your mechanic what the codes are. It should be P0101, or 0102, or 0103. Its a fairly easy job. You can buy the MAF and install yourself. It's right by the air filter. Check the service manual for your car.

Better yet, get a can of CRC MAF cleaner for now and clean it good. If you haven't replaced it ever, then may be its due for replacement. Also replace your air filter at this time if you haven't done so.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 PM
ctonline

I had a Clogged fuel filter. $50 quick replacement.

I had starting issue when the engine would just die and it would not start again seem as if no gas was being fed in. Other mechanic suggested distributor, airflow unit, ect, but finally asked one and he suggested the fuel filter when I told him the symptoms. It was clogged up because the fuel filter unit feels heavy than the replacement one. Didn't thoroughly test the car yet, but I'm confident it was causing the car to stall.