Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
ECM/ECU Symptoms/Replacement Forums > > ECM/ECU Symptoms/Replacement ECM/ECU Symptoms/Replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 AM
ctonline

Default ECM/ECU Symptoms/Replacement

I've replaced my 96 GLE Altima ECM/ECU unit from an old part purchased from ebay for about $40. The unit is on the bottom left of the passenger side. The part number actually didn't match exactly after I've taken the part out for replacement but the seller said it was from a 96 altima. I tried it anyway and it didn't seem to have a problem taking it.

You have to first unscrew two side piece covering the ECM unit one on the right and one on the driver side covering the unit then unscrew a plastic wire cable connecting the unit out. There is a blue fuse attached to the unit and two other wire attached to the unit but they are not screw on. Then have to take out two screws holding the ECM unit on the bottow left of the unit. You need the right tool for this part since the screw is kinda hard to reach. I couldn't reach the screw and wasted alot of time trying to take out the parts around it to reach it. You need a socket type of wrench to reach it.

I Didn't need to reprogram the unit afterward but I don't have an electronic key system. It has only been the first hour after the replacement so not sure how the car will hold up. I had to jump start the car and press on the gas for it to start. I put two bottle of alcohol into the gas tank to take out the water inside and lots of water seems to drip from the tail pipe. Currently my radio still does not work after the ECM replacement.

Just wanted to thank NissanTech and Bennyb53 for helping me along the process.

Now I know its not from the problem of the starter and fuel pump, battery or alternator or distributor. It might not be the ECM unit as well, but the car seems to be starting ok for now.

The problem I had prior to replacing the ECM/ECU was posted below.

My 96 GLE altima had various electrical problems, including none working radio, AC, headlight and on and off speedometer. Currently my car won't start after stalling a few days prior on the road after driven for a few blocks. It had started up again after stopping but I had only driven it back to park it. I let it ran for an hour idle after I parked it. The next day it won't start. It crank up initially, but won't start. This happen after leaving the car for a few weeks during a winter storm. Could this be the ECU unit problem? I've change the distributor, alternator, and battery just a year ago and I've tried to jump start the car without success of starting the car. Did you have similar symtoms prior to replacing your ECU unit? Any input on what is wrong? Thanks.

Tags
ecm or ecu, symptoms or replacement