Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
please help Forums > > please help please help
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 AM
chrsdowden

Default please help

i have a 2002 altima. my issue is that it starts up like with all kinds of racket in the motor initially and after a second or two its fine once oil circulates. then i will drive it to work (30 miles) and once i get off the highway and pull to a light, the oil light will illuminate and the racket comes back. then when the light turns green and i give it gas to take off the oil light goes away and the racket subsides again. my initial thought was that it was the pvc valve. please help! im at a loss
Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Racket in your motor when you start up? Racket? I am not an auto tech so excuse me when I say I haven't heard of the term. Are you describing a sound or noise or describing a picture?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2009 Sentra

have you checked your oil level or pressure?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
chrsdowden

the racket i speak of is the motor sounds like there is no oil circulating at startup for a second or two then afterwards is normal until i get off the highway and slow down to about 1000 rpms. that is when the oil light illuminates and the noises come back until i give it a little gas. i have proper oil level. havent checked the oil pressure as i dont know the best way to. just tryin to see if someone may know something small that it might be before i take ity into a nissan dealer. thanks for any help i get in advance. ive had to replace head gasket cause it blew. had to replace trottle body. two coils. the maf sensor. i dont have any idea if these are connected or how.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

The racket you are hearing is the timing chain when oil pressure is low the t.chain tensioner looses tension and allows the chain to rattle or make a racket. I am guessing the service engine soon light is on. If so you probably have the P0011/21 codes I think. Indicating low oil level or pressure.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 AM
chrsdowden

no engine light is on right now...last week it did the same thing and the engine light eventually came on...it started running real rough and the code said misfire in cylinder 4...so i warrantied my new coil on cylinder 4 and it was fine...but the oil problem still remains...this morning it feels like it is getting a little sluggish again. its like a repeating cycle. what is the best way to check the oil pressure?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Use an oil pressure gauge. Remove the oil pressure switch and put the gauge there. Is this a 2.5 or 3.5L engine.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:09 AM
chrsdowden

its a 2.5
Old 03-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

No doubt in my mind that it is low on oil change the oil. Check the oil level every 1000 kms. If it is down a L or more you may want to consider replacing the engine. Also check the frt convertor for deterioration.