Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
EGR Forums > > EGR EGR
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2005, 05:54 AM
slit

Default EGR

I have a 2000 Altima where the SES light came on about 2 weeks ago. A computer scan came back with the trouble as P1402... EGR metering orifice restricted.

How important is this issue? The car seems to run as well as it always has with no change in gas mileage that I can see. Is this likely to be an issue when I go in for my emissions check?

Finally, how hard is the orifice to access and clean???

Thanks, in advance, for any replies.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Actually, in this code the problem is not a restricted flow (like most EGR problems), but instead an excessive EGR system flow, which means that the solenoid valve stuck open or the EGR valve it self is leaking or stuck open.

Usually an excessive EGR flow will cause the engine run rough, but you mention that the engine is running OK. What I suspect is that at times the EGR valve is sticking open and triggering the light ON. What I recommend is removing the valve, cleaned and reset the code.

How hard is remove and clean the valve? If you never work in your car before (changing for example alternator, drive belts, brakes) you should have you mechanic do it.

Tags
egr