Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine noise- revised Forums > > Engine noise- revised Engine noise- revised
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM
2003 Altima Sedan

Question Engine noise- revised

MY 2003 Altima with 2.5L is making an engine noise that sounds like a bad exhaust manifold gasket. Changed the gasket, but the noise is still there. Can hear inner engine noise.

Could the noise come from a gutted pre-cat? I see that it has a cat from a junkyard with crayon writing. Or possibly a cracked manifold???

Any answers, or guesses??
Old 08-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

When are you hearing this noise? When you start the engine up in the morning? How frequent is this noise? Are you noticing any performance issues with the vehicle? Does it sound like broken pieces of glass? Have you tried accelerating with the vehicle throughout the day to see if you hear more of this noise or any performance issues? If the pre-cat is making the noise, then you should put into consideration in replacing it before the junk inside the pre-cat gets sucked into the engine. The video below is just to show you the stuff inside the pre-cat.

+ YouTube Video

Last edited by NissanAltima01; 08-02-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 PM
2003 Altima Sedan

I hear the noise every time I rev the engine. Sounds just like a bad exhaust manifold gasket. You know, like hearing the lifters chattering. Also, when I punch it hard, it bogs first, then picks up speed. When I changed the manifold gasket, the cat seemed to be empty, from what I saw. Except the bottom screen in the cat was still there. Didnt think that the cat could be punched without disturbing that screen.

No broken pieces of glass sound either.

Also, since this the exhaust , how can the guts of the cat get sucked into the engine? The pressure is going the wrong way for that to happen.

Last edited by thesharkster; 08-02-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

Not entirely sure how the pre-cat goes back up into the engine, but it has costs many 2002-2006 Altima owners well over 3k to replace their engine due to the pre-cat failure. If you have already replaced the gasket for the exhaust manifold, what makes you so sure its leaking from it again? Have you done the proper torque on the bolts? I would have someone in the driver seat when the vehicle is in park pressing the accelerator while the hood is up to get a better location on it.

Tags
engine, noise, revised