Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine Cranks But No Start Forums > > Engine Cranks But No Start Engine Cranks But No Start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

Nissan 2005 had the steering wheel column with ignition and ecm and dash cluster replaced from a 2006 car why would the security light still be on?
Old 02-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R

I'm going to bump this one back up to the top.

My engine died, and I've tried 4 ecms now, and the last two have had matching key, immobilizer, ignition switch, but I still get the solid red security light when I try to start the engine.

No codes as for some reason my scanner, and not even the $$$$ Snap On scanners will read the ecm, or any module on the car. Yes, I have checked all of the grounds, and even pulled the dash, and found nothing, new battery fully charged with new cables. I did all of the CAN bus diagnostics per the shop manual, and everything there was fine.

The engine will fire, and run rough if I spray starting fluid down the intake. So the injectors aren't firing. [just like in security shutdown]

Since I have all of the matching parts for the used ecm why am I still getting the damned security lock down?

I would take it to the dealership, but since we can't get communication with the ecm I don't want to be hit up for $150 for them to tell me they can't read the ecm.

Also I tried the second ecm I bought [matching numbers to old ecm, but no matching key, or immobilizer], and it was giving a code in the Nissan specific scan, a U1000, but now even that ecm won't communicate.

Last edited by M-train; 02-26-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-train View Post
My engine died, and I've tried 4 ecms now, and the last two have had matching key, immobilizer, ignition switch, but I still get the solid red security light when I try to start the engine.
As you can see on the image below, there are only 4 things for the system. You know the ECM and the kye are OK, then the problem is either the antenna or the BCM. The most common and least expensive part is the antenna, but I have seen a couple of bad BCM as well.

Engine Cranks But No Start-capture-png
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Cranks But No Start-capture-png  
Old 02-26-2018, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R

Yes, I did a bcm test [where it turns on/off the wipers, lights, horn, etc], and it all passed.

However this is a used salvage yard ecm/key/immobilizer so.

I know I couldn't find it in the shop manual, but does this have to be matched to the ignition key, ecm for the engine to start? Its located behind the gauges.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Theft-Locki...taUaWF&vxp=mtr
Old 02-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Yes, I did a bcm test [where it turns on/off the wipers, lights, horn, etc], and it all passed.
That test doesn't test the NATS system, just the components you mention. Could have a bad circuit inside the BCM

Quote:
I know I couldn't find it in the shop manual, but does this have to be matched to the ignition key, ecm for the engine to start? Its located behind the gauges.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Theft-Locki...taUaWF&vxp=mtr
That part is a "Shift Lock Module" for the shifter and has nothing to do with the NATS system. Not even sure why they call "Theft"

Last edited by NissanTech; 02-27-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R

Ok, thanks for clearing that up about the shift lock module.

So, does a solid red light with the key on mean the NATS has the car shut down? I need to know for sure, as if that is the case I'm wasting my time checking for bad grounds, shorts, etc. [as from what I've read the NATS shut off the injectors from firing, and that is exactly the case in my situation, as the engine will start, and run rough using starting fluid.]
Old 03-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
So, does a solid red light with the key on mean the NATS has the car shut down?
Yes, 100% sure

Quote:
as from what I've read the NATS shut off the injectors from firing,
Yes, that is correct.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R

Ok, thanks.

I found the problem with the non communication with my scanner, and it was the DLC connector. I decided to add some tension back into the female connector of the DLC, and after I did that [same as the Youtube video I posted below], the scanner worked perfectly.

I got several codes dealing with the new TB. Since I knew the TB was good, I figured I would re-tension the female connectors there [again see the video], and now there are no codes with the TB.

I cleared all of the codes today [except for the SRS]. I might tackle the SRS some day, but as long as its no inclusive to getting the engine running I most likely just wait.

A few things here.

1. The EGR valve was pulling power down just a bit, so I removed it. [there is no valve left as I have header, but the electrical part was still there, for which I tried the resistor trick, and it made the car run crazy]

2. There was a loose connector in the dash fuse box causing the gauges to go out. [Fixed]

3. The female connectors going to the throttle body were opened up too much so I took them apart via instructions from this video.
ECU ECM No Communication No Start FIX $0 to fix - YouTube

4. The sun happened to be at the right angle showing me the male terminals on the ABS connection, which were all green.
I took some sand paper, and cleaned them up, and then used a metal nail file to clean up the female connectors. I also relocated the ABS ground to a place more accessible on the frame.

Now it looks like the only thing holding me up is the damned NATS, as they are the only codes I getting.

I would just send the whole ecm/key/immobilizer back to the Ebay seller as I paid premium money for matching related parts. However, since all of the codes are cleared, it looks like this ECM is good, so I really don't want to mess with anything, as first, those ecms are hard to find, and finding an ecm that actually works is even harder.

I will try to get the car to the dealer this week, and tell you guys if it was a thumbs up or down. I'm pretty sure I will get some flack if they open the hood for which I'm going to try to steer them away from that until they're finished, AND the engine runs.

Last edited by M-train; 03-04-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I'm glad you find all those problems.

Quote:
I will try to get the car to the dealer this week, and tell you guys if it was a thumbs up or down. I'm pretty sure I will get some flack if they open the hood for which I'm going to try to steer them away from that until they're finished, AND the engine runs.
Have you considered having a locksmith try to reprogram the keys? could be less expensive than towing your Altima to the dealer.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
I'm glad you find all those problems.

Have you considered having a locksmith try to reprogram the keys? could be less expensive than towing your Altima to the dealer.
Thanks.

I've already tried calling around to the locksmiths, but no luck.

Also, the current ecm from is from the same year SE-R as mine, but the part number was slightly different.

I did a net search on how to decode those ecm numbers, but didn't find anything.

I know both cars are automatics, but I'm guessing the donor car had traction control.

So I would guess, hope the dealership can reprogram the traction control out of the ecm?
Old 03-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
So I would guess, hope the dealership can reprogram the traction control out of the ecm?
They could try reprogram the key, but unfortunately, there is no option during the reprogramming to remove or cancel the traction control system.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
They could try reprogram the key, but unfortunately, there is no option during the reprogramming to remove or cancel the traction control system.
Ok, can I still drive the car without the traction control, or will the ecm shut it down, or go to limp mode?

I can live with an abs light on the dash, however it would suck to have to buy another abs pump.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Ok, can I still drive the car without the traction control, or will the ecm shut it down, or go to limp mode?
I never had that problem, I don't know how the engine will react with a different ECM.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R

From what I've read traction control was an option on the SER, so I would hazard to guess that its a good bet that the donor car for the ecm didn't have it.

I've also looked on Ebay for a used ABS motor that had TC, and I've not been able to find one as of yet. I have the vin number of the donor car, but I doubt it would tell me what options it had.

Here is the donor car with pictures.
https://tempvin.com/lot/27193777

Last edited by M-train; 03-08-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R

I took the pictures of the car in the link above, and if you want to look in the second to last picture, its a picture with the drivers side door open so you can see where the TC button would be, and from what I could see with the picture enlarged there is no TC switch there.

So, here is my question. What is the difference between my car, and the car in the picture in the link above as it pertains to the ecm.

My oem, ecm part number is TU A56-X45 EE9 4911 for donor ecm, vs my oem ecm, TU A56-X45 EE9 4905.

Since both cars don't have TC, Navigation, or a manual trans, the only thing I can think with the difference in the last two numbers is either side air bags option on the donor car, or a firmware revision on either my car, or the donor car?

Do you know of where I can find a decoder for the ecm part numbers as I would believe it would help MANY Nissan owner of used Nissans in the future.

What do you think NissanTech ? Oh, and thanks for all of the help.

Last edited by M-train; 03-09-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Tags
cranks, engine, start