Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 3.5l v6 Not Charging Forums > > 2002 3.5l v6 Not Charging 2002 3.5l v6 Not Charging
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 PM
gspot

Default 2002 3.5l v6 Not Charging

Have a 2002 Altima with 145,000 miles on it. it's my wifes car and the other night she was driving it and it died along side the road. It simply lost all voltage and died. I'm getting it charged up and running but it will not put out enough voltage to run. I'll get it charged up to 12.5v on my meter but as soon as it's started it rapidly discharges until it dies.

I would automatically assume its the alternator but I'm not getting any signal from the battery discharge light on the dash. Battery cables are fine on top and on the positive on the alternator. Haven't checked the ground on the chassis will do that shortly.

any thoughts on this

Thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

You can have most alternators bench tested for free at a good parts store. That's one way to determine if the alternator is bad (assuming they test it right).

Should get about 14.2 volts at your meter across the battery with the engine running (with a good battery) and no load (accessories on).

Tags
2002, 35l, charging