Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Bleeding the cooling system Forums > > Bleeding the cooling system Bleeding the cooling system
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM
djbigshot

Default Bleeding the cooling system

I changed my thermostat flushed old coolant out and you guessed it car overheats. So i did what some other post suggested took the radiator cap off and let it run for a half our to hopefully let the air out the syatem still overheating must still be more in there right so then I opened the bleeder screw and ran the car again with cap off still overheating its been three days now trying different things i found on other post. Im at my wits end and need some help please anyone provided me with other suggestions this is truly driving me nuts after going through all this work off replacing the thermostat and doing the flush and having this car overheat is just really pissing me off please help!!!!(I replaced the thermostat bc of the dtc code i pulled 1126 which other post suggested it was which i feel was the problem to just some insight y i did ir.)
Old 11-25-2010, 09:47 AM
2009 Altima Hybrid

Was the car overheating before you changed the thermostat? If it was you could an undiagnosed problem other than the thermostat. To bleed the air out it is helpful to have the car with the nose pointing up or at least level, but never pointing down hill. Also you should turn heater temperature control to full heat and blower to low. If all that doesn't work there are bleeders available that work off compressed air to creat a vacuum in the cooling system.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:52 AM
djbigshot

The car was not overheating prior to the replacement, and i did what you suggested so now let me know the name off the those lovely bleeder tool that will vac the air out and can i get it at a local auto parts store.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

with the engine cold, remove reservour cap.... set climate control to heat..... start engine.... squeeze bottom radiator hose and have someone check to see bubbles in reservour... do it many times.... then do top radiator hose.... your waiting and watching to make sure reservour does not overflow..... the trick is when the thermostat reaches opening temp... then the hot coolant will circulate through the heater core/radiator...
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
pdupuis

I am having the opposite problem. I have a 2000 GXE. I replaced a leaking water pump and thought it would be a good idea to replace the thermostat at the same time. Since then, if the temp is below 45 or so, the car runs cold. The gauge will stay at the bottom and the heater blows cold air. Get on the interstate at 70 at it will finally warm up. I thought it was a thermostat so I replaced it again from a different autoparts store. Still the same. Two bad out of the box? i know its not impossible but... I am reading about bleeding the cooling system. I have run it for 10 or 15 minutes without the cap to see if the coolant was flowing but it didn't change the problem. Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 AM
mikee6

just flushed mine and used the following procedure:
draining:
1. turn key to on, fan on, heat on high wait one minute turn off ignition
2. removed radiator plug (on bottom)
3. removed radiator cap (on top)
4. removed bleeder plug (under distributor)
5. removed block drain plug (front side of block passenger side)

Refilled by
1. installed radiator plug and block drain plug
2. fill until fluid comes out the bleeder port
3. wait then slowly fill again until fluid comes out the bleeder port
4. install bleeder port
5. fill to full squeezing hoses to get out any air
6. install radiator cap
7. top up expansion tank to full

System took right around 2 gallons from complete empty to max full.
Did it 5 times (drain, radiator cleaner, rinse, rinse, rinse, fill) and all the crap came out.
heater is too hot to use in max position now

Tags
bleeding, cooling, system