Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Floor pan rusted Forums > > Floor pan rusted Floor pan rusted
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM
2002 Altima

Question Floor pan rusted

has anyone heard the floor on pass/driver side rusting threw to the carpeting driver side very bad .the vehicle is 2002 nissan altima sedan we are in chicagoland area . thanks
Old 09-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast
2008 Altima Coupe
2008 3.5SE Coupe,6sp

Default Rust Through

Hello and welcome to the Coupe Forum!

By now you have realized your error and got response from the sedan folks, but let me weigh in wih a few thoughts on your situation. Used to live in areas where salt was used a lot in the winter and found it was really important to make time to get vehicles up on a lift to check the integrity of the undercoating and the lower body in general. Remember a early '80's Audi we had for a while that was undercoated, but a small crack in the coating allowed salty water to get up against the metal and took out the entire passenger floor pan.

This won't do you much good to know now, but going forward, keep an eye out for small issues under the car. One of the reasons I still do my own oil changes...an opportunity to eyeball things up.

BTW, had to puu the carpets on the Audi and pop riveted in a sheet of heavy aluminum...just before we sold it :-).

Best wishes
Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Rob and Liz

Default Rusted floor pans

Have the same issue, but passenger side is worse. Also live in Chicagoland.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM
pachayka72

I live in upstate NY. I have had my car rustproofed every year since I got my 03 Altima. Last year I noticed some rust on the ground on the passenger side. I took it back to "Rust Check". THey cut out and welded a new piece in the floorboard. They said water was trapped between the factory undercoat and the floor pan. Fortunately the car was still under warranty for corrosion and they repaired it for free.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
triumphtr6quebec

Nissan warranty is 5 years as regard rust !!!!! Are you talking about Rust-Check warranty ?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM
pachayka72

Default Altima floorboard rust

Yes, Sorry. Talking about the "Rust Check" warranty.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 AM
2005 Altima

Default 2005 Altima floor boards rusted

I also have this problem with a low mileage (85,000) garaged 2005 Altima which is perfect except the floor boards are rusted through. I had this with a 15 year old high mileage Corolla but didn't expect this with a 7 year old low mileage garaged vehicle. This is a common problem with 2002-2005 Altimas. I would recommend filing a complaint ( to go with the many others that are there ) at the NHTSB (National Highway Transportation Safety Board) website. They are the only people who can order a recall/fix. Click on this link and file your complaint. You need your VID number.
Search for a Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM
2002 Altima Sedan
2009 Altima Sedan
2009 Altima

Default Fllor Pan Rusted

Same thing happended to me. Both sides rusted out to the carpet even though I had rust proofing when I purchased the car. I called the dealer. They referred me to Corporate. Haven't gone there yet. By the way, it's a 2002 Nissan Altima.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
2005 Altima

I also have rusted through passenger side floor boards on a 2005 Altima I haven't checked the driver's side yet. Mine is in great shape, having been garaged since new and has only 85,000 miles.
There have been some who have speculated that this is a moisture on the inside problem with salt and water from the winter or backed up air conditioner hose. Mine has rubber floor mats and has never had a drop of water on the inside and the AC pipe is clear. I pulled up the passenger side mat and floor boards were gone. There is a double wall floor board and the hole was in the bottom layer but it was easy to poke through all the way. It appears that the inside is not welded but is attached with some kind of rubbery goop that has a silvery blue color on the top. I suspect that this is the basic cause of the problem since once I cut out the rusted area (below this stick on goop) the rest of the floor boards seemed solid. The dealer wanted $550 to fix it one side so I did it myself. It's not too bad a DIY project.
(1) Cut out the bad area with a sawsall. It was about 18 in by 10 in. The surrounding are seemed solid
(2) Fit in a 12x18 piece of sheet metal that I got at Home Depot
(3) Attach with steel pop rivets.
(4) Seal the inside with silicon caulking to keep out moisture and fumes
(5) Spray the bottom with several coats of undercoat spray to seal the new piece to the hole in the outer piece
(6) Total cost: Less than $20. I already had the sawsall and pop rivet gun
I was thinking of attaching another piece of sheet metal from the bottom by attaching it to the top piece but thought that this would make it more likely to have water trapped. There is still a hole in the outer layer but the floor boards are solid. My only concern is that the undercoat spray I got was not very thick and I'm not sure if it has sealed all the voids with the hole in the outer layer. I'll shop around for something thicker.
UPDATE:
I used a tube of roofing tar / driveway sealer to fill in the voids where the bottom layer of metal connects to the patch galvanized steel installed from the top. This seemed to have the right consistency to fill the voids and make a watertight seal. I worked it in with a rubber glove. After seeing this I would probably skip the undercoat except to cover the galvanized steel to make it look better or spray it on after using the roofing tar.
I checked the driver side and it is clean and pristine with no hint of rust. I did not see any plugs that could fall out. I didn't pull up the mat but I suspect the driver side does not have the rubbery goop that has a silvery blue color on the top to hold in the top panel.

I've declared victory!!!

Last edited by MassFastEddie; 07-21-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 AM
2004 Altima

Hi, we live in Nova Scotia (bad salt climate) and the pan on the passenger side rusted thruogh the first layer under the front pass seat. drivers side and elsewhere seems ok.

Buds1954
2004 Altima 2.5
Old 07-20-2012, 07:05 PM
2008 Altima

Underbody rust proofing/coatings don't work. They can't stop salt. You're better off washing off the salty crud because water is cheaper than bodywork.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 AM
2005 Altima

Default Undercoating

If this is in response to the above MassFastEddie posting I was trying to use the undercoating to seal the void left between the replacement panel I put in from the top and the bottom panel. The roofing tar / driveway sealer had a better consistency for this.
I agree that undercoating is not very helpful and have never paid for it on a new car. I am very conscious to hose off the bottom of the car and wheel wells, especially in the spring. I don't think the undercoat spray at car washes is much good. I looked underneath after getting this done and it was barely wet.
Perhaps the factory undercoating could have exacerbated the problem. When I pulled out the bad piece from the bottom there was a hanging flap of undercoat. Perhaps they were relying on this to seal a bad assembly job of the panels.

Tags
floor, pan, rusted