Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 Altima A/C issues Forums > > 2008 Altima A/C issues 2008 Altima A/C issues
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 PM
jmslicing1967

Default 2008 Altima A/C issues

I have a 2008 Altima 3.5 SE. Took to dealer with A/C issue, blowing hot.
The dealer did a charge and dye and proceeded to tell me that the A/C compressor needed to be replaced for over $1000.

Warranty is up due to mileage 60k.

I found it suprising for the A/C compressor to fail after two years until I read there were A/C issues with the 2007 Altima.

I contacted Nissan USA Consumer Affairs, who after researching my issue told me that there was nothing they could do to assist me.

Any one else have similar issues. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

My 07 is 3 1/2 years old and doing fine.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 PM

2007 Altima 2.5s

Had mine in for service today, 2007 with 96Km on it. Same thing, blowing hot. They wanted 1200 for mine as they said the compressor coil not engaging the compressor. System was fully charged and sealed. Have to shop around to see what the best price may be. Wont be going back to the dealership much longer soon as the remaining powertrain warranty is up in 4Kms. I have yet to find Nissan Consumer affairs (at least the Canadian Version) to be of any kind of help for anything.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
2008 Altima Coupe

Default 2008 altima coupe a/c problems

I had the same problem have about 70K miles a/c started blowing hot air one day took in to dealer $1100 for a new compressor had a local shop put in. Worked fine for 2 days then started blowing hot air again. Called Nissan consumer affairs they acted as if they never heard of the issue. surprised that a 4 year old car would need a new compressor usually last 8-10 years or more. Still working on issue have had the same problem repeated. Something else is going on.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
2008 Altima
2005 Murano

Hello everyone. Newbie and first post here. My wife has a 2008 3.5 SL with the same problem. Anybody figured this out yet? I have recharged the system and clutch is still not engaging. I know it's not frozen 'cause I can spin it by hand. The relay in the fuse box still works. The pressure switch, I think, is a 3-wire setup so I'm kind of shying away from bypassing or hotwiring it. It just seems odd that a 4 yr. old car will have a broken a/c compressor that soon...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM
2008 Altima

I am having the same problem as well. Compressor does not need recharging and Fuse Block is working correctly. Haven't yet had an opportunity to check free turning the compressor by hand but I am betting it is fine. Clutch is not engaging.

Any additional help on this topic is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM
2008 Altima
2005 Murano

I will be bringing the car to Nissan this weekend for the Brake recall, and at the same time have the a/c checked. I already know they'll tell me it's the compressor, so I'll have my trusted outside shop check it out right after the trip to the stealership. I will keep everyone posted.

This is just plain ridiculous. Just last year I had a '96 1.5L Mitsu Mirage beater and daily driver, and its a/c ran flawlessly. Now my pregnant wife has to use my 10 yr. older, than Altima, M3 because a/c works perfect. Quite upsetting 'cause I expected more from Nissan.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 AM
2008 Altima
2005 Murano

Ok guys, update. Dropped off the car to the dealer and finally got the call from the Service Dept. I was told the magnet engaging the clutch inside the compressor is at fault.

On a positive note, the Sales guy (a very good friend of ours) from whom I got the car from, which I also told my friends and families about (he probably sold 5 or 6 cars because of me), got me the Gold Membership Extended warranty without any cost to us. Now I know what he meant when he said "Don't worry, I took care of you..." I totally forgot about this warranty and I was ready to pick up the car and go to a different trusted shop I always go to for my other cars, until the service dept. told me about it when they called back.

They told me everything is still covered by the warranty that ends March 2014. Out of curiosity, I asked how much w/o warranty and they quoted $1055. I felt like I won the lotto when he said "everything's covered Sir". What a relief...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 AM
2007 Altima

WoW. I had the same issue.
Stealership is always my last resort.
It is good to know I saved at least $1000.

See my videos. It might help some of you to fix yourself.
But let me tell you it was quiet hard thing to do.

1. We checked pressure - it was normal.
2. AC relay - OK.
3. Unplugged clutch connector and tested with multimeter - OK.
4. Since the cluth connector was good, and clutch was not spinning - decided to replace clutch. I bougth OEM one from e-bay for $155.

It was very hard to remove the bolt. It is held with "Locktite". We ended up cutting the bolt to use huge flat srewdriver. Need two people to remove it if you are lucky.I posted a short video on YouTube how to locate and check if clutch
is engaging. Start the car and turn on fan and AC. Watch if clutch is spinning.

AC Compressor Clutch - Nissan Altima 2007 - 2.5 S Part 1 - YouTube

Here is the second video how we replaced AC clutch.
AC Compressor Clutch Replacement- Nissan Altima 2007 - 2.5 S Patr 2 - YouTube

I hope it'll be helpful.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:13 AM
2011 Altima Sedan

Greetings. This is my first post. I have a 2011 altima no ac. Static pressure in both lines is about 90 psi. Compressor clutch never goes on so I cant measure pressures while ac is running. Can anyone give me an idea what to do next besides taking it to the dealer.

Tags
2008, a or c, altima, issues