Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
I was thinking of being a mechanic. Forums > > I was thinking of being a mechanic. I was thinking of being a mechanic.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 PM
EatShark

Default I was thinking of being a mechanic.

I was thinking about going to get my ASE Cert. at school this August.
Does anybody work in Florida as a mech, and how is it?
What is the average pay?
Would you suggest specializing in one make such as Nissan?
Just looking for general opinions I guess is what I'm looking for.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default ASE & Mechanical

I have the ASE certification in Auto Parts. I've had it since 1996, although I'm in a slightly different industry now.

I enjoy it as a hobby/saving money/doing the job right/figuring out what can't be fixed, but as a career, that's different.

Me personally, I'd diversify. For instance, in the 1980's, if you specialized in AMC cars, you migh have had to choose a different career.

All cars can make you money if you're good at what you do and can charge for your services.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Although taking classes is good to learn mechanic, specially if you don't know anything about cars, getting experience working on a shop is more important. My advice is to get an internship at the dealer or independent shop to get experience working on cars. With experience and your ASE certification you can get a very decent pay. I know some tech with 5-10 year of experience and ASE certifications that make over $100K a year.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
EatShark

I never really thought to intern. I think I might try that, plus it will give me a good idea if I want to do that as a career or not.
I'm between going to get my ASE or going to police academy this August, not sure which sounds better just yet.
I didn't know mechanics could make that much, is that being an independent mechanic, a shop owner, a foreman, or is that working for a chain?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
I didn't know mechanics could make that much, is that being an independent mechanic, a shop owner, a foreman, or is that working for a chain?
The techs I know that make that kind of money work for dealers. 2 for Mercedes Benz and one for Lexus and there was an Infiniti tech that made almost that. No shop foreman, just regular techs.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 PM
EatShark

Is it difficult to land a job at a dealership right out of school because I know it's not too bad to try and get a job at a local mechanic shop?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

You could also become a tech at the police department garage working on cars and equipment there. You'll get a pension, be civil service and also get to work on cars as well.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
EatShark

And for that, would you need to go through police academy and get ASE as well or just one of the two?
That sounds right up my alley. Any ideas on how I would go about doing that?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Altima

Default Mechanic

That depends on the civil service system in your state. Most of the mechanics are probably civilian employees. Some of the bosses or admins might be uniform.

Tags
altima, ase, mechanic, nissan