Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
2018 Altima 2018 Armada 2018 Frontier 2018 GTR 2018 LEAF 2018 Maxima 2018 Murano 2018 NV 2018 Pathfinder 2018 Rogue 2018 Sentra 2018 Titan XD 2018 Versa Note 2018 Versa Sedan 2018 Z
MyNissan Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Tech Challenge Game Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms Cost Estimator More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2010 Altima Ipod? Forums > > 2010 Altima Ipod? 2010 Altima Ipod?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-23-2010, 05:12 PM
warchant

Default 2010 Altima Ipod?

Hi All,

I just finish test driving the 2010 Altima with the package that includes the USB conection for the Ipod. The car drove great. I took my Ipod and my Ipod USB cable to conect it to the car while I was test driving it. When I connected my Ipod the screen indicated that it was reading the files but then jumped to a message that read "check device". The sales person and I tried connecting it to 3 other cars with no success. When I got home I check to see if my Ipod had the latest software installed an it did. Does the 2010 Altima USB Ipod connection only connect to new Ipods? My Ipod is about 3 to 4 years old and works just fine. I use it regularly with my current car, I use the monster FM modulator.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima

It is quite possible your older iPod won't work. You do know, don't you, that hooking it up via FM modulator is nowhere near the same thing as a direct connection like you would be doing on the 2010?

It's too bad Crutchfield doesn't test OEM sound systems for iPod compatibility.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
warchant

Remi,

I understand that my Ipod is a bit older but it works just fine with my new Bose Ipod player, ihome alarm clock and the Acura TSX. My next car purchase decision is going to be swayed by its ipod cababilities.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima

Don't rate a car on it's sound system. Sound systems can be replaced.

I would consider laying blame on the manufacturer of the radio in your car. They are the one's who limited the capabilities.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 AM
2007 Altima
2007 Altima 2.5S

Just my two cents with Remi Remi; Sound systems CAN be replaced, and usually should, if you're an audiophile, because Car Manufacturers are always about half a decade or more behind on the quality curve... Also don't buy a car FOR the sound system, They're either Blaupunkt (GM), which is OK, or Bose(Most everyone else), which is horrible (If you buy a sound package). Those packages are WAY overpriced, and in the case of Nissan, so are their 3.5 engine packages.

So choosing to buy a car simply over whether or not it can successfully play your ipod off the lot isn't going to keep you rewarded over the long run.

Hell I had a friend of mine drop a High-End Alpine Deck w/ IPOD connectors, 2 10'' Polk Audio Woofers w/ Kicker Amp, and JL Audio all around.. he has a world class system for under 1200... In his ford focus LOL.

The system doesn't make the car.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 PM
warchant

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. The Ipod conection is just one of the aspects I am looking for in any car that I lease. I might use the ipod conection as a tie breaker between 2 similar cars. Does nissan have any info on what kind of ipods work with their cars?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima

Unfortunately, probably not at the dealership level.

And, yes I did misunderstand you. Now that you mention the tie breaker aspect, it does seem that your previous post alludes to that possibility.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Rexx0d0a

Default Iphone/IPod USB not working properly in 2010 Altima Coupe 3.5SR - Cable problem?

I took delivery of a new 2010 Altima Coupe yesterday. When I plugged in my IPhone 3G (OS 4.01) using the cable that came with the Iphone, the Bose 4" LCD screen displays "reading files", then sometimes works, but sometimes locks up the IPOD screen until I restart the car. When it does work, it only plays for a few minutes, then displays "Check Device" and locks up the IPOD screen until I restart the car. I also get a message on my ipod that says "This accessory is not supported".

So, I tried an older IPod cable (see below; thicker wire and larger IPod connector with the release buttons, and now everything seems to be working fine!

So, I suspect some electrical noise/RF problems. Perhaps the heated seats? I'll continue to play with it and report back here...

This cable does NOT work for me:

This cable seems to work for me:

I have not contacted Nissan service yet.

There is a Altima Ipod-related service bulletin on this site, but it appears to be for the NAV system, which I don't have.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Tobey1Kenobi

Here's my story... My husband buys me an 32gb ipod touch for Mothers day in May, I buy him one in June for Fathers Day. My ipod decides to quit working in my car around August. Same issues as Rexx. (the Bose 4" LCD screen displays "reading files", then sometimes works, but sometimes locks up the IPOD screen until I restart the car. When it does work, it only plays for a few minutes, then displays "Check Device" and locks up the IPOD screen until I restart the car. I also get a message on my ipod that says "This accessory is not supported".) I had taken it to the Nissan dealership and was told it was an ipod issue and NOT an Altima issue BUT the ipod still works in my hubby's GMC Denali and HIS ipod works in my 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe so we traded! Easy fix! His ipod has worked beautifully with no problems and with the exact same cord as my ipod until this morning... Yesterday night, I added more music to my ipod through itunes and did NOT upgrade the software because I was scared of this happening again and today I can see all the music on my ipod through the display screen in my car, but when I push play I get silence and just a number 1 on the screen. I am at my wits end... I've got $600 dollars worth of ipods and neither will work in my car. What made me furious is that the dealership is telling me it's an ipod issue and Apple never returned my email requesting help. I find it curious however that I added new music to my ipod and was connected to itunes BOTH TIMES my ipods just up and quit. I have an appointment with Nissan tomorrow morning to address this issue. I believe it's a software issue and Nissan isn't up to speed on the changes, but I'll let you know what I find out... Wish me luck. (Running Version 4.0, Model number MC008C)
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Rexx0d0a

Yes, it would be great if one of us gets Nissan to acknowledge and fix this, so we can all go back to our dealers and tell them what to do.

After a few days using my older IPod cable (see my Oct 15th post) , I no longer get the "check device" or audio system lockups that require restarting the car to resolve.

However, while playing from my IPhone 3G (OS 4.1), the volume will go silent every once in a while. I have to switch to radio or XM to get reset the volume, then back to IPod mode to continue listening.

Frustrating...I'll continue to play with it.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 AM
rookie8155

I am also having same issue here. I brought home new Altima 2010 home couple of days ago. First thing my daughter tried was plugging in her iphone via usb in car's Bose system. We got the message" this accessory is not supported" message and then the message"Reading Files" will stay for ever. I tried my iphone with my wire, still same issue. I will appreciate if someone else has solved this issue besides using old wire. I don't know where to find old wire is it works with old wire.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Rexx0d0a

I've given up trying to get my IPhone working in my Altima.

So, I got an old IPod Nano 8GB, loaded up my music library, plugged it in via USB and it has worked 100% perfectly for over 2 weeks now.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 AM
rookie8155

I have tried all ipod cables in my house and none works. I have two ipods and two iphones, none of them connects to my new Altima 2010. What is disappointment. I don't know where to complain.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie8155 View Post
I have tried all ipod cables in my house and none works. I have two ipods and two iphones, none of them connects to my new Altima 2010. What is disappointment. I don't know where to complain.
Apple changed the pin configuration in the cable on some of the newer ipods and iphones. You need an adapter to make the new stuff work.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 AM
2015 Rogue

Amazon.com: Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, 3G; iPod nano 4G; iPhone 3G (Black): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more